Saturday, March 28, 2015

Countdown to Opening Day #8

Only 8 more days until games count.  Here in Illinois the grass is getting greener, and the weather is starting to turn a little warmer.  Baseball is almost here.  There have been plenty of Cardinals to wear the #8, but no true standout player so I will pick a few to highlight.






2014 Topps Tier One New Guard 29/399

Peter Bourjos currently wears #8, although the poor photoshop effort in the above card does not show it.  He was acquired in a trade with the Angels along with Randal Grichuk for former World Series MVP David Freese and Fernando Salas.  I cannot say much about him because he was hurt for a part of last season.  When he did played his defense was great as usual, but he did little with the bat.  It would be nice to see him get on base more, but I doubt he will see much playing time unless Jon Jay gets injured.



2010 Topps Chrome Allen Craig

Most people remember Craig wearing #21, but he did wear #8 during the 2010 season.  He was a vital part of the 2011 World Series team, but injuries slowed his career.  He was traded to Boston in 2014 for John Lackey.




2001 SP Chirography JD Drew

JD Drew is another player Cardinals fan may remember wearing a different number.  Like the picture in the card, he wore #7 from 1999-2003, but wore #8 when he was first called up in 1998.  Drew was a phenom who never quite lived up to his hype, but was a very productive player when he could stay healthy.  Cardinals fans remember him most for being part of the trade with the Braves that brought Adam Wainwright to St. Louis.  My wife had a crush on Drew while he was with the Cardinals.  I remember he was signing autographs at the same card show in St. Louis that Stan Musial and Enos Slaughter were at back in 2001.  I paid $65 for him to sign a ball for my wife.  He never even looked up or said hello.  Far cry from the $50 I paid for Musial who asked my name, where I was from, and shook my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment