Friday, October 16, 2015

Ironic Trading Partner to share in my Misery

The playoffs are down to 4 teams now.  I cannot say I really care who wins the World Series as long as it is not the Cubs.  The NL series should be interesting with the young pitching of the Mets vs. the young hitting of the Cubs.  I was rooting for the Dodgers to beat the Mets, but Daniel Murpy had other ideas.  Last week I worked out a trade with Greg who writes the blog Plaschke, Thy Sweater is Argyle.  I guess we were destined to trade since both our teams lost in the Division Series this year.  I received my end of our trade on Wednesday, but did not open it until I was watching the game last night. 


Of course I received some cards that completed a couple of team sets.  The Bo Hart and Mark DeRosa cards complete sets, while the Lankford and Ozzie cards brought both sets down to needing just 1 card. 

I do collect Cardinals minor league team sets also.  When I go to minor league games, I like to pick up the team set from the previous year for $5 or less.  Greg included some Just Minors cards of a couple of pitchers who never made it to the majors with the Cardinals, but JD Drew had a few nice seasons with them.  Cardinals fans remember him most for being part of the Adam Wainwright trade with the Braves.  The Lee Smith was a nice oddball card from SI for Kids.

Greg included a nice 4 pack of inserts.  I always liked the Topps Gold cards, but am not as big of a fan of all the color variations that came out after that.  Blue, red, green, yellow, etc can get to be a little much.  At times I wish Ray Lankford had more modern cards, but am glad I do not collect an active player because of all these variations.  I had never seen this 2011 Topps Prime 9 Pujols card before.  Very sharp looking card.  A lot of people may not realize Roger Maris finished his career with the Cardinals in 1967 and 1968.  The Cardinals made the World Series both years, winning in 1967.  I believe this card is a 2010 Topps Red Backs.

Greg all 18 Cardinals in the 2011 Factory Limited Edition set.  Only five players are still on the team: Molina, Wainwright, Holliday, Jay, and Garcia.  Great set to have.

Last but not least is a 2008 Donruss Threads Bob Gibson jersey card numbered 91/100.  While the design is rather blah, it is always nice to add a Cardinals HOFer to the collection.


Outstanding first trade with Greg, just wish our teams were still playing




1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the cards and I could help reduce some want list clutter! Appreciate everything you sent back my way!

    ReplyDelete