Monday, October 10, 2016

Seeing Red from 2011

My last post brought back some memories from the 2006 World Series.  This was the first Cardinals championship that I have a good remembrance of.  I was all of 6 years old in 1982 when the Cardinals defeated the Brewers.  About the only thing I can recall from that Series was how goofy Darrell Porter looked with his glasses.  I watched or listened to all the games in the 2006 playoffs.  I was not able to watch Adam Wainwright strike out Carlos Beltran to end the NLCS, but was sitting on my couch when he struck out Bradon Inge to win the Series.

Fast forward 5 more years and a lot of Cardinals fans remember the 2011 World Series.  I know it was only 5 years ago, but it was such a memorable Series a lot of baseball fans in general recall David Freese's walk off home run in Game 6.  A trade package I received over the weekend reminded me of a couple of other players who played a key role in Game 6.

 2011 Topps Target Red Lance Berkman and Jason Motte

After Freese tied the game in the bottom of the 9th, Jason Motte came in and game up a home run to Josh Hamilton in the 10th.  It looked as if the Rangers were on their way again to a victory, but Lance Berkman tied the game in the bottom of the 10th with a 2 out single.

 I received a few other cards in the trade.  Pujols did not play a huge role in the 2011 Series, but it did mark his last game as a Cardinal.

2007 Topps Red Letters Jason Isringhausen

Jason Isringhausen did not play in any World Series with the Cardinals, but does have a ring from 2006.  Adam Wainwright was the closer during the 2006 playoffs due to Izzy's injury.

Kolten Wong is remembered for his pickoff during the 2013 World Series against the Red Sox.  I hope he sees more consistent playing time next year.  I have a soft spot for Cardinals players who wear #16.

No comments:

Post a Comment