Monday, June 24, 2019

Indy Card Show Recap

This past weekend it rained again.  It is crazy how many days it has rained in the last 2 months.  I believe the longest stretch of days without some trace of rain has been 3 or 4.  The farmers around here are looking at a very tough year.  The rain has also put a damper on the baseball season.  My son had 1 more travel tournament to play, but it was called off on Friday night due to the forecast.  At least that allowed us to make some weekend plans. 

A quick check of the Beckett site showed a card show in Indianapolis on Saturday that we attended back in April.  We made a day of it as my son and I hit the card show in the morning for 2 hours while my wife and daughter shopped, then we killed the afternoon at the children's museum.  Everyone had a great day as we found some great cards, the women found some sales, and we all enjoyed the museum.  On to the cards.

It was nice to see that a lot of the same dealers from the April show were set up in the same spot for this one.  It saved us a lot of time trying to find the bargain boxes.  Our first stop had a mix of nickel to quarter cards.  These 9 cards cost us $1.  
The Altuve is for my son's player collection, the Torres cards are for someone I owe, while the top 3 are for trade.  The Diaz is numbered to 250, while the Cliffton is a refractor numbered to 499.

I needed the top 2 cards for my Cardinals collection.  I already had the 2019 Topps base card, but picked this up to use for in person autographs.   These stadium cards work great for players who do not have a Cardinals card.

The next table had dime boxes of recent product that was separated into retired and current players.  I picked up this lot for $1.  All are base cards, but it is hard to pass up Chrome cards of top prospects.  

 The 3 Chrome cards in the second scan are still available.  All the rest are spoken for.

The same dealer had a huge box of inserts, game used, and autographs marked 3 for $5.  I spent $10 for these.

All are for my personal collection except the 2017 Donruss Signature Kevin Pillar.  My son picked out the Tarasenko jersey card.  He has a handful of hockey cards, but this is his first relic card.  It was great to see the Blues finally win the Cup a few weeks ago. 

The dealer also had a box of relics and autos for $1.  I give this guy credit for keeping his boxes well organized by sport.  Quite a few of the table we hit had all 3 major sports mixed in.  That is usually a quick pass for me.

We stuck to strictly Cardinals for these.  The Rolen is numbered to 250. 

Another deal has various boxes ranging from a quarter to $5.  We picked through a few of the quarter boxes for these.

Hard to believe I found a 1966 Topps in great condition for a quarter.

My son gained a couple Altuves from the boxes.  I picked up the McKay refractor for trade bait.  Go check out his stats from this year.  He is a two way player in the Rays system.  His hitting is not the greatest, but he has been lights out as a pitcher.

Most of the time I do not both going through the $1 and higher boxes, but my son had some spare time while I was going through the quarter boxes.  He found this in the $3 box.

Even though he is no longer with the Cardinals, I am still a Piscotty fan.  He will not get the same ovation when he returns to St. Louis this week that Pujols got, but I hope it is a good one. 

Our last stop featured some random boxes with base and inserts not marked.  Having never bought from this dealer before, I only pulled out 3 cards.

I should have kept digging because these only cost a quarter.  We were both getting hungry though and the women were waiting in the parking lot, so we left. We spent a total of $25.25 for everything you see.  It was great not having to pay premium prices for Cardinals cards like I do at shows closer to St. Louis.  Relics and autographs these are at least $5.  With Indy being about the same distance as St. Louis, this may become our favorite show.  If you are in the area, they hold monthly shows.  Great deals with no admission make for an awesome show experience.

           

No comments:

Post a Comment