Saturday, November 14, 2015

Size Does Matter

Earlier this week I saw a blog post with a caption that read "I live my life 2.5 x 3.5 inches at a time".  As a fan of the Fast & Furious movie franchise, I loved this quote.  How awesome is it that someone can take a quote from a movie and relate it to your favorite hobby?  Of course the  2.5 x 3.5 inches refers to the size of a standard baseball card.  Earlier this week I received a trade package from Justin at Mets Cardboard that supports this quote, but also adds a footnote to it.

This was my second consecutive trade package that featured Mark McGwire.  This is a 1998 Score Complete Players insert.  There are 3 versions of this card, this one is version B.

Justin set along 5 different set hits to my team wants.  The Adron Chambers completed my 2012 Topps Heritage team set.  The Jack Clark is my first Cardinals from the 1985 Fleer Update set.


These 1971 Topps cards are in pretty good shape.  A little corner wear, but otherwise great shape for being over 40 years old.  The Cardinals were not very good during the 1970s, but did have some household names like Brock, Gibson, and Schoendienst.

Topps has a rainbow of colored parallels not only in the flagship brand, but Heritage as well. Finding colors like red sparkle, Target red, gold, Wal-Mart blue, emerald, and a Heritage black made me feel like I was opening a bag of skittles.

This 2015 Topps Pin card is the standard size, but is a lot thicker.  I will have to visit a card shop or show to find a top loader thick enough for this card. 

What, a non Cardinals card? Not really, the back says Fiore was drafted by the Cardinals so this 1989 Topps Big finishes a team set.  I guess Topps Big can be considered a cousin to 1989 Bowman since it is also slightly larger than a standard card.  It measures 2.5 x 3.75 inches.

Gypsy Queen has included several types of minis the last few years with different types of backs.  This 2014 Stan Musial is just the regular version mini  measuring 1.5 x 2.75 inches.

Pacific had some unique inserts in the late 1990s and early 2000s.  This is a 2000 Crown Royal Card Supial insert measuring 1.25 x 1.75 inches.  Very easy to misplace this card.  I guess Pacific was trying to catch up with the Topps micro fade of 1991 and 1992. 

It was very easy to work out a trade with Justin.  He uses Zistle for his wantlist and tradelist.  I do not have a Zistle account, but may have to consider one after this trade.  Thanks Justin!


No comments:

Post a Comment