Thursday, April 18, 2019

Base Cards from Cards on Cards

Today I will show off the huge stack of base cards that Kerry from Cards on Cards sent last week.  It took me a few days to go through the package and figure out what a few cards were.  That is always part of the fun for me.

Starting off with a well loved 1967 Topps Curt Flood.  My scanner cut off the right border for some reason.  One of these days I hope to read his book Well Paid Slave detailing his fight for free agency.

 A pair of 1978 SSPC cards and a 1981 TCMA.  The Simmons is my favorite of the bunch. 

You may wonder why I am showing a 1981 Fleer card.  This is the correct version that I did not have.  The error card has the same photo with Pete Vuckovich name on the front.  The Medwick card is my first from the 1980-1987 SSPC HOF set.  The George Hendrick is a 1984 Glossy Send In card. 

Look at all these great cards from Fleer box sets.  The 1988 Fleer Herr is my favorite.  The red and yellow border looks good with the batting practice jersey.

The Lindeman is a 1987 Fleer Glossy card, while the Brunansky is a 1989 Sportsflics card.  I wish Bruno played more than 3 years in St. Louis.  He was underrated in my book.

I am always a sucker for minor league cards.  From overproduced like the 1990 CMC cards to my first 2001 SP Top Prospect cards, they are all welcome to my collection.

Jumping into the 1990s with a trio of oddball cards.  I never knew Donruss made mini Cracker Jack cards like the 1992 Zeile card.  Seems you can always learn something new each day when you collect.



 I had never seen the McGee 1991 Topps box bottom card before.  It shows a little wear, but still is a cool card to have.  The Dayley is a Cardinals card in my book even though it says he is with the Blue Jays.  This is an 1991 O-PEE-CHEE card.

More oddballs with these 1992 cards.  Although they are not very expensive, the Conlon cards came be a challenge to find.  There are a ton Cardinals in the 1992 set.


If you need to brush up on your Spanish, I suggest 1993 Pacific cards.  The back includes a paragraph in English and Spanish.

Why Fleer needed to make the 1994 Extra Bases set oversized is beyond my understanding.  These things are a nightmare to store and try to keep mint.  Good thing there is not much value to them.

Moving into the 2000s is a four pack from 2002.  The Topps Chrome look a lot better in hand.  The gray borders do not scan well.

I liked the 2003 Donruss Team Heros set.  I reminded me of Topps Total with its inclusion of relievers and bench players.  I was not pleased to find out Total is now an online exclusive product.  $10 for 10 is not what the original Total set was like.  Leave it to Topps to mess up a good thing in order to make a few extra bucks.

Upper Deck did Sweet Spot sets well.  The 2005 Classics set is a throwback to retired players like Dizzy Dean.  I like the use of the pennant at the bottom.

 I should have scanned a back of these 2006 Topps cards to show they are from the team set instead of the regular set.  I have never bought any of these upon release, but have found them discounted a year or two later for a couple of bucks.  The Morris is a base card, just one I did not have yet.  Since I do not open very many packs, I did not know he was pictured in a Cardinals uniform.

Nothing two flashy with these UD and Bowman cards, but both Bowman cards did finish team sets.  The Cardinals drafted stock as a catcher in 2009, but he switched to pitching a couple of years later.  He is now a reliever for the Padres.

Now we get to the current decade.  The 2016 Chrome Update Hazelbaker reminds me of a Bowman bubble refractor card.  The Ozzie is my first Allen & Ginter X card from any year.

Lots to like in these 4 cards.  First you have a reliever card from a Honus Bonus set that is not very common, followed by a nice 2018 Topps photo variation.  The bottom 2 finished my 2018 Topps  Fire set and started my 2018 Topps Heritage Minors set.

Thanks again to Kerry for the great Cardinals lot.  Hope we can swap again before the end of the year.



   
 



No comments:

Post a Comment