Monday, April 15, 2019

Lots of Cards from Cards on Cards

It is always fun trading with fellow Cardinals fans.  In most cases I can get rid of Cardinals doubles for cards that I need.  Such was the case with a recent swap with Kerry from Cards On Cards.  We both were able to thin out our extras in exchange for a ton of new Cardinals.  My package was so big that today I will just highlight the inserts.

Starting off with some early 1990s inserts and parallels.  I have never seen the 1994 SP Holoview card before.  Sweet looking card.  The Ozzie Gold Winner was the last one I need to finish the 1992 set.

Jumping a few years to the late 1990s and early 2000s that saw a ton of McGwire inserts.  I wonder if anyone actually displays the 1997 Pinnacle Stand Up guys. 

Edmonds also had a ton of Cardinals inserts.  The 2003 Moonshots cards is my favorite.  Stadium Club was not nearly as sharp in 2008 as it has been the last few years.  The first day issue card is not bad card, but the photo is rather boring.  The 2008 Topps Looper is a gold foil parallel.

Chris Duncan is battling brain cancer for the second time.  He was co hosting a sports radio show in St. Louis until January.  Best of luck to him as he continues to fight.  His card is a 2009 Topps Target throwback.  Tuivailala came up as a shortstop, but was later turned into a relief pitcher because he could not hit.  I think that switch worked out well for him.  One of the nicer players I have ever met.

It is amazing how things can change in baseball in 5 years since these cards came out in 2014.  Carp just signed an extension last week.  We all know the tragic story of Taveras passing away during the 2014 World Series.  Piscotty was traded to Oakland in 2017 to be closer to his dying mother.  Nice to see him doing well.  Cooney pitched a in a few game in 2015 before missing all of 2016 with a shoulder injury.  I do not think he is in baseball anymore.

I believe 2015 was the first year Topps starting giving inserts different colored backgrounds to confuse collectors.  I still do not see the need for it.  Just stick with the different colored borders like Gypsy Queen.

Here is what Topps does right.   Topps Chrome refractors are simple and look great.  The colored parallels can be a bit much for some people, but I like them.  The 2015 Update MLB All Star Game Molina is one of the few cards not showing him in catcher's gear.  Kind of nice to have see change every now and then.

I cannot complain about any of these inserts.  I like colored parallels like the DeJong, cards with a nostalgic feel like the Reyes and Flaherty, and cards that have a outer space type background like the Martinez.  O for the days of Metal Universe.  
  



No comments:

Post a Comment