Monday, June 28, 2021

First Card Show in a Long Time

As I mentioned in Friday's post, my plans for Saturday were to hit up a card show for the first time since early March 2020.  After getting the yard mowed in the morning, my wife, son, and I headed out a little after noon.  It took about an hour and 15 minutes to get there.  We walked in the front entrance and were greeted with flea market tables.  No big deal though as I knew most of the time this show was set up inside the main concourse.  We were almost in for a major disappointment as that area had nothing but more vendors with no cards.  Good thing we decided to walk around the entire mall, as the show was inside the old JC Penny store.  

Beckett online advertised the show as having 70 tables.  I would guess that was accurate as things were spread out very well with plenty of room to work around the various tables.  We did a quick walk through to see what dealers had dime or quarter boxes first before we dug in.  We ended up only buying from 3 different tables.  It might have been more, but we spent 2 hours there and I had to get my son back for a swimming party at 6.  

The first dealer we purchased from had two 5000 count boxes full of dime cards along with another box of cards ranging from a quarter to a dollar.  That box had the Cardinals separated out, so I spent quite a bit of time there.  The dealer was very polite and even involved my son in the conversation.  Some guys would not even bother talking to a 12 year old.  He had a little stack of packaged cards he was giving away to kids.  My son was lucky enough to get one.   It had about 15 football cards in it and these baseball cards:

I know game used cards are not much of a thing anymore, but it was great to get one along with some inserts and cool base cards for nothing.  We hope to trade these for needed Altuve cards.  I ended up spending $3 at his tables for the following cards.


It was hard just picking out 3 Cardinals to buy, as he had a ton more that I needed but I did not want to spend a lot right away.  Looking back I should have.  The 1977 Hostess Ted Simmons is easily my favorite card.


I believe these were all in the quarter box.  The Mancini is already in the mail to another collector in exchange for a nice Dylan Carlson card.


These 2017 Bowman Topps 100 cards were all in the dime box.  No big names, but I know of a few people who collect these sets.


These were also dime box finds that should be easily traded.  


It was a no brainer to pick up all 13 2021 Bowman Chrome cards I found in the dime box.  No big names in the lot, but once again there are quite a few people trading for these.  

The next dealer we bought from came from North Carolina.  From the way he talked, things were rather slow.  He also had 2 5000 count boxes of dime cards.  He offered them to me for $50, but there was a ton of basketball and football cards mixed in that I did not want to mess with.  Instead we picked out 27 cards for $3.  They were all dime cards, but I did not want to mess with the change.


Not very many Cardinals in his boxes at all.  I already have the Carlson, but could not leave it for just a dime.  The Edman completed my 2020 Panini Prizm team set.


I will buy Topps Gold cards all day long for a dime each.  I already had the Carson Kelly card in my Cardinals pc, but maybe Kerry needs a copy.  


There were not very many inserts mixed in his boxes, but I did find a few.  The Bell is a Metallic Snowflake from 2018.


He did have a few Panini cards from recent sets that I though I would be able to trade.  The 2018 Obsidian is a very thick card.  


The last 13 cards I bought from the second dealer were all 2020 Big League Orange parallels.  There were a few bigger names in the lot like Bellinger and Bieber.  

The last dealer I bought from had a little bit of everything.  He had some game used pants and jerseys.  Not cards, but the entire piece of clothing.  He also had a ton of oversized Topps exclusive cards.  I have purchased some of these from the Topps website before, so I know he had them marked up quite a bit.  Some were 2-3 times more than what he paid.  He had quite a few Cardinals stadium give aways also, but I mainly stopped at his tables to look through 6 or 7 boxes of various cards in top loaders.  Just after my son and I sat down, he came over and gave a well thought out speech about his pricing and how he would negotiate on a large deal.  One thing that stood out to me was his quote of being in line with EBAY prices.  Some things were, but a 2021 Topps Stars in Service Adam Wainwright  is not a $4 card.  I ended up picking out 3 cards priced at $12 total that he gave me for $10.


He had a ton of Topps Now and other cards you can only buy online like the 2020 Kenny Mayne Altuve card.  I saw quite a few Cardinals but would not pay $15 each for a Topps Now or Throwback Thursday card.  He had a ton of assorted game used and autograph Cardinals, but nothing that really caught my eye other than the 2017 Clearly Authentic Diaz card.  I love the see through cards.

Overall it was a fun show.  I thought we did pretty well for only spending $16.  We will definitely go back if they have another there.  Maybe next time we can catch up with some other bloggers like Ptown Tom.  He was at the same show, just a day earlier.









  

No comments:

Post a Comment