Monday, February 26, 2018

Well Worth the Drive

My first job out of college was as a sales rep for a soda company.  My area covered about 50 square miles.  I would drive close to 350 miles each week, but was able to be home every night which was a major selling point when taking the job.  I spent 2 years racking up a lot of miles on my own personal vehicle before I found my current job as a dispatcher for a concrete company.  That was almost 18 years ago, and I am so glad I made the change.

I did gain an appreciation for driving.  Although I have made numerous trips to Florida and Colorado, it has always been in a car.  I do not have a fear of flying, but I would rather get somewhere when I want and be able to come and go as I please.  I am also somewhat of a tight wallet. Driving is a lot easier on the funds when you have a family of four.

If you have read my blog before, you know I drive all over the place for my baseball fix.  Early this month I drove 16 hours to attend Cardinals spring training.  I will also drive 2-3 hours numerous times each summer to watch minor league baseball.  This past weekend my son and I made the 2.5 hour drive to the west side of St. Louis.  Every year one of the local sporting goods store has a baseball expo where you can try out new equipment.  There is also a former Cardinals player who signs autographs for free.  2 years ago we went to this when Brian Jordan was there.  The crowd was not too big and Jordan was very friendly.  This year the former Cardinal was Ray Lankford.  I had him autograph some things at the Cardinals WWU in January, but you cannot pass up a free signing with your favorite player.

 I knew from attending the Jordan signing the store allowed 2 items per person, so I brought a few cards along.  The Bowman Tiffany turned out great as did the 1990 Upper Deck.  Neither are high end cards, but both are RCs.

 His first Fleer and Donruss cards also turned out nice.

I chose the 2000 and 2001 Stadium Club cards because of the great photos.  Lankford commented the bottom card looked like a home run swing.


This is the last of my 4 Lankford bats that I needed autographed.  It is a Young bat from his final season in St. Louis in 2004.  It shows very little use.  Lankford commented he did not like this brand as well as Louisville Slugger, so he gave quite a few of them away.  

Ray was super nice and posed for pictures with anyone.  He signed for 2 hours with a line that was never more than 10 minutes long.  We only went through twice, but that was more than enough.  Besides the autographs, I was able to find my son a Little League bat that has been sold out online since Christmas.  It was also 20% off.  All in all a great trip that was well worth the drive. 


     

2 comments:

  1. OMG what a fantastic experience-he looks great, I am envious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is active in the Cardinals fantasy camps, and also is playing in some all star type games this summer. I may actual see him again this summer.

      Delete