Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Blog Bat Around; Cardinals Certified Autograph Team

I have never participated in a Blog Bat Around, but the newest one started by Zippy caught my eye last week.  Of course I will show all Cardinals, but will break my team up in two posts.  One will featured pack pulled certified autos, while another one that will come in a day or two will feature in person autos I have obtained. 

Manager: Whitey Herzog

Though not on Zippy's list, every team needs a manager.  I will take Whitey over LaRussa any day of the week.
 
Catcher: Yadier Molina
No real surprise here.  When he retires, Yadi should own almost all of the team records for catching, except maybe home runs.  He is 40 behind Ted Simmons. 

First Base: Keith Hernandez

This spot would have gone to Pujols or McGwire, but sadly I do not own an auto of either.  Hernandez was a pretty good Cardinal though.  He was Co-MVP in 1979 and a member of the 1982 World Series team.

Second Base:  Red Schoendienst

This was a tough call for me between Red an Tommy Herr, but it is hard to vote against a member of the Hall of Fame.

Shortstop: Ozzie Smith

This one was as easy to pick as it would seem, as Marty Marion played on some great Cardinals teams in the 1940s.  Ozzie gets the nod though due to a longer career and a great looking autograph.

Third Base:  David Freese

Since I do not have a Ken Boyer auto, Freese gets the nod based on the 2011 Post Season. 

Outfield: Stan Musial

Greatest Cardinals Ever.

Outfield:  Lou Brock

Two time World Series champion, former stolen base king, and HOFer.  Also part of one of the greatest trades in team history (thanks Chicago)

Outfield:  Ray Lankford

I cannot make a top Cardinals list without my favorite player.  He is in many of the team's top ten career offensive categories. 

DH/Bench:  Jim Edmonds and Willie McGee


I could not pick in between these guys, so they both get a spot.  The bench needs more than one player anyway.

Starting Pitcher:  Bob Gibson

One of the fiercest competitors to every play.  HOFer, 2 time World Series Champ, MVP, CY Young, you name it he has the award.  Throw in a no hitter for good measure.

 Relief Pitcher:  Lee Smith

Most people do not think of Big Lee as a Cardinal, but he had a very good 3 year run as a Cardinal.  From 1990-1992 he had 117 saves on some bad teams.

Relief Pitcher:  Bob Forsch

Though he was starting pitcher, Forsch gets a place on my team because of 2 no hitters and a solid 15 year run that included 3 World Series appearances and 1 title.

Closer:  Bruce Sutter

One of the first pitchers to master the split finger fastball, Sutter was a dominant closer in the early 80s who could go multiple innings.  I always remember him striking out Gorman Thomas to end the 1982 World Series.





6 comments:

  1. Dang sweet autos! I have a few of these I must add. Whitey-mos def'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the Running Redbirds. Home runs are nice, but Whitey Ball was so fun to watch

      Delete
  2. Awesome autos there. Keith Hernandez and Ozzie Smith have very nice signatures. Red does too.

    Musial is in my lineup, and he's batting leadoff - probably because I dont have any autos of a speedster like Brock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not think you can go wrong putting Stan anywhere in the lineup. The Man could flat out hit.

      Delete
  3. Very nice. Yadi autos are not easy to secure so that one is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember getting the Molina auto from a Christmas exchange on a message board back in 2006. One of the better presents I have gotten baseball card wise.

      Delete