Tuesday, June 19, 2018

2 Shows in 2 Weeks

My son's travel baseball season ending last weekend.  I know it sounds early, but a lot of the players also swim, play soccer, and football.  It can be tough asking a 10 year old to choose in between sports, so we agreed to play baseball from April-June.  As a result, I now have a lot of free time on the weekends.

For the last few years, it has been a ritual to attend a minor league baseball game on Father's Day.  However, this year none of the local teams were playing at home and I was not too thrilled to go sit in 90+ degree weather and watch the Cardinals struggle against the Cubs.  Instead, I chose to drive to St. Louis on Saturday to attend a card show with my son while my wife and daughter went shopping.  A win-win for everyone involved.

I attended the 3 day show at Machinist's Hall back in April with some decent luck at the bargain boxes.  This 1 day show was advertised as sold out, so I thought why not.  The bargain boxes were once again my main target.  I spent the majority of my 1.5 hours at a dealer's tables who had 6 3,000 count boxes full of quarter cards.  Along with about 20 cards of trade bait, I did find a few Cardinals.
 
It is so nice to be able to pull up my collection on the TCDB website while I am at a show.  I swore I had the Grichuk gold and Sierra pink card, but I was wrong.  Although all are former Cardinals, I will not pass up nice quarter cards.

I am surprised I do not find more cheap McGwire cards at shows.  There are a ton of them I still need.  The 1999 Ultimate Victory McEwing card was hidden with a bunch of other short print rookies from that set.  I almost grabbed a stack of them, but I could not remember anyone that was collecting that set.

There were also a ton of minis from various years, but I keep my mini purchases to strictly Cardinals. 

I bought these Piscotty cards from the same dealer I bought a few cards from at the Evansville show the previous weekend.  He restocked his former Cardinals box, but these were the only ones I needed. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment