Monday, September 30, 2019

Card Show Recap

Everyone looks forward to the weekend.  I am no different.  I never have to work weekends as my place of business is only open Monday through Friday.  Saturdays are usually spent going to my children's games or catching up on the yard work.  This past weekend was different as there were no games on the schedule and my yard did not need mowed, so my son and I took off for St. Louis.  The main reason I went was to attend a function at the Cardinals Museum.  I will save that for another post.  By luck there was a card show about 20 minutes from downtown.  Of course we hit that up for a couple hours.

I have been to a couple of shows at this location before with some luck finding some deals.  This time was not too bad, although I will say that the regional pricing was horrible.  I expect to pay more for Cardinals at a St. Louis show, but not $0.50-$1 for common cards of non stars.  I had hoped to finish a few teams set, but that will have to wait.  The majority of our time was spent going through 3 monster boxes of quarter cards.

Crazy I could buy numbered Topps Gold cards cheaper than the regular base card at other tables.  The Ozuna in not numbered.  One dealer has 2 boxes full of Bowman Chrome rookies for $1 each.  No stars or top prospects, just guys like Ozuna.  That was a quick pass.

The boxes were full of pitchers cards.  I was able to find a few Cardinals, including my first 2019 Donruss Optic.

A few other inserts that I needed including a Shelby Miller mini numbered to 250.  And that is it for Cardinals cards.   I did pick up quite a few cards for trade bait.  Some with a few traders in mind, others just because.

I know of 2 guys trying to complete the 2019 Gypsy Queen green set.  I did not check lists, just hoped they may need some.

Yankees are never hard to trade.  3 Topps Chrome refractors and a foil card.

More Yankees highlight some Stadium Club parallels.

I have a couple of Pirate collectors who I trade with a lot.  Collecting Cutch gets first crack at the McCutchen if he needs it.  The other 3 are refractors from 2017 Bowman Chrome Draft.

Some of the countless 2019 Prizm parallels that I found in the boxes.

A few more Topps Chrome refractors.

Last are a few card that just looked cool.  The Votto is numbered to 500.  If you are interested in anything, leave a message.

My favorite pick up of the show was a trade with another collector.  I am a member of a facebook group that trades/sells bobbleheads.   I had an extra Jim Thome from a giveaway in Peoria that I traded for this sweet Busch Stadium giveaway.

This is one of my top 5 favorite bobbleheads.  I think I have about 55 different Cardinals ones now, most being stadium giveaways.   I am always a sucker for the retired greats whether it is cards or bobbleheads.

 
  

2 comments:

  1. That bobblehead is sweet. Is that McCutchen a red frame/foil? If so, I have that parallel. I am interested in the Newmans though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the 2015 DK red #9. The Newmans are spoken for already. Did not realize he had such a good season.

      Delete