Monday, September 7, 2020

RIP Sweet Lou Brock

I was pretty excited to sit down and watch the Cardinals Cubs game last night.  A few minutes into the pregame show, news broke that Cardinals HOF Lou Brock had passed away.  That put a big damper on the evening.  Mr. Brock had been battling numerous health issues the last few years, but had seemed to be doing ok.  Goes to show anything can change in a blink of an eye.  Here are a few of my favorite Brock items.



I have 2 Brock autographs in my collection.  Both on card and both very beautiful.



I have 7 different Brock game used cards. Love the baby blue swatch.



I never had the opportunity to get Brock's autograph in person.  He signed quite a few times at different events in St. Louis, but I never was able to attend.  Not sure when I bought this PSA authenticated ball off EBAY, but I do remember it was for $45.


Another EBAY purchase was this Playoff Absolute Signing Bonus.  I believe this was around $20 back in 2003.


This was my second ever stadium bobblehead giveaway.  My wife and I attend this game back in June of 2004.



This 12 inch statue was a birthday gift from my sister when I was around 12 or 13.  She bought it a garage sale in Springfield, IL for $10.  I have neve seen another one like it.  I always thought I would have Brock sign it.


My family and I met Mr. Brock at the All-Star Fan Fest in Cincinnati in 2015.  I had taken the statue in hopes of getting an autograph, but time did not allow it.  He did take the time to thank us for driving 4 hours to see him and for wearing Cardinals red in enemy territory.  Thanks for all the great memories Lou!

1 comment:

  1. Your Lou Brock collection is impressive, and it's great that you got to meet the man. I never saw him play but when I was 12 years old and shopping at a store in Cooperstown I chose his #20 as the first replica jersey I ever purchased. Perhaps he was on my mind because Rickey Henderson had just broken his stolen base record. Either way, I wish I still had that jersey (though I obviously wouldn't fit into it anymore.)

    ReplyDelete