Friday, May 20, 2022

Older Set Hits

When I think of old baseball cards, I think of ones produced before 1980.  1982 is the first year I remember following baseball as a kid.  When I opened up my first pack of baseball cards in 1986,  I recall getting a few of the players from back then.  Skipping forward to a few years and my first card show, I came across some colorful 1975 Topps cards and thought they were very old, even older than I was.  

Today my definition of an old card has changed.  Pre 1980 cards are still old, but so are cards produced 20 years ago.  Those type of cards are getting tougher to find at shows.  I am not talking about the high dollar rookies.  I am after the common base cards or inserts of Cardinals I do not have.  TCDB member torcato helped me out with a few of these older cards.


I graduated high school in 1994, the same year this Leaf Limited card was made.  It only took me 28 years to complete this team set.


These 2 UD 40 Man cards are 20 years old.  That really seems strange to say that.  I only need 1 more card to finish this 44 card team set.  Anyone have #572 Luis Garcia laying around?


This 2010 Topps Debut card is not that old, but it is still from a set I never see cards of.  I am not even half way done with the 11 card team set.  



These 2 cards are not old, but they are the last 2 from the package.  The Hicks is a gold parallel from 2020 Topps, while the Motte orange refractor is from 2012 Topps Chrome.  Both of these former closers threw very hard.  The current closer Giovanny Gallegos throw quite as hard.  Yesterday he gave up 2 runs on the only 2 pitches he threw in the 10th inning to take a loss.  I look for Ryan Helsley to take over the job soon.  His fastball is just a tad slower than Hicks.    


    

No comments:

Post a Comment