Tuesday, March 14, 2023

St. Louis Card Show Recap: Vintage Buys

Mother Nature was a card show fan last Saturday.  My son was scheduled for baseball practice from 8 until 11, but the cold weather and rain canceled it.  Instead, we hoped in a car for a 2.5 hour drive to St. Louis.  There was a 60 table show on the west side that we had been to before.  I also wanted to visit a card shop to redeem $60 worth of 2022 Chrome Paul Goldschmidt cards.  

We arrived at the show about an hour after the doors opened.  There was a very strong crowd already.  It was crowded, but not to the point where you could not browse tables.  We favored the bargain boxes and some vintage tables that did not have as much traffic as the high-dollar display cases.  We spent $50 in a little over 2 hours from 5 different dealers.  Today I will show off my buys from 2 of them.

The first dealer had an excellent setup of vintage cards.  1 set of boxes contained lower grade cards, while another set was closer to mint.  All boxes were organized by year and number.  His star cards were in display cases.  Everything had a price tag on it.  I wish all dealers were like this.  We pulled $24 dollars worth of Cardinals that he sold to me for $20.


My son and I had a great system of sorting the boxes.  He would read off the year and number from my want list that I printed from TCDB while I sorted through the boxes.  All of my purchases were from the lower-grade area.  Most of the cards have some soft corners or bad centering but no major creases.  That is the perfect condition for my collection.  My scanner cut off the edge of this 1962 lot.  The 2 cards on the right are not cut that bad.


I love how the yellow badge goes with the red lettering on 1966 cards.  

Most of my 1967 needs are Hall of Fame players, but I did cross a common off my list.  Ed and his son Scott are one of the few father-son combinations to win a World Series with the same team.  


I did score a couple of Hall of Famers from the 1968 set.  Both of these were $2.  The Gibson is almost perfect.  

The next dealer had a monster box of Cardinals in top loaders marked 6 for $5.  I settled for 6 cards, 4 of them being more vintage.


A couple more 1968 cards were marked off the list and 2 from 1971.  My scanner decided to cut off the left side this time.  The Simpson looks much better than what is pictured.  My 1971 team set is down to 6 cards for completion.  They will be tough as 5 are high numbers, and the other is Steve Carlton. 


The dealer did not have any more vintage I needed, but I did great with the other 2 cards.  The Rolen numbered to 50 is from 2005 Upper Deck Origins.  I had to do a double-take when I found the Goldschmidt for less than $1.  I added it to the other 2 Chrome cards to be redeemed later in the day.  Next post will show off all the bargain box cards.        



  
  

       

No comments:

Post a Comment