Thursday, September 6, 2018

2 Days in Peoria

My last chance to check out some minor league baseball came a couple of weeks back on August 25 and 26.  I still had some ticket vouchers to use from my season ticket plan for the Peoria Chiefs.  The season ticket holder team meet and greet was scheduled before the game on the 25th.  For 30 minutes we were free to roam around the outfield to take pictures and get autographs from all the players and coaches besides the starting pitcher and catcher that night.  My son and I did most of the autographing while my wife and daughter took pictures.  It was a busy 30 minutes, but we ending up getting almost everyone we wanted.  Those we did not get on Saturday, we ended up getting Sunday after the game.  After each Sunday game, the Chiefs sign autographs on the concourse for all fans.



My main target and first stop was Nolan Gorman.  He was the Cardinals #1 draft pick this year and has already advanced to low A ball as an 18 year old.  He did not say much, but was very polite.  The helmet is a full size Rawlings model, while the ball is a ROMLB.   

We took this picture of my son and Gorman on Saturday, had it autographed on Sunday.




Luken Baker was the Cardinals second round draft choice this year out of TCU.  I have mentioned before, but he is a big man. He signed a mini helmet, 2 cards and a couple of pictures I took from a game in early August.  The bottom picture is his swing on his first Peoria home run.  The poster was a handout before the game that he also signed.

Baker signed this picture on Sunday.  

Manger Chris Swauger signed 2 cards and hitting coach Russ Chambliss signed one card on Saturday.  Chambliss is the son of former big leaguer Chris Chambliss.

Relievers Whitle and Saylor signed on Saturday, while Blanco and St. Clair signed on Sunday.

Starting pitchers Oviedo and Prendergast signed on Saturday.  I missed Seijas on Saturday, but got him on Sunday.

Starting first baseman Zach Kirtley signed these on Saturday.  Hands down the nicest guy on the team.

Nick Plummer signed both of these on Saturday.  As a 2015 first round draft pick who has not advanced past low A, I am guessing this will be his last year in the Cardinals system.

I got Rodriguez on Sunday, the other 2 on Saturday.  Both Gonzalez and Davis were on the DL at the time, so it was nice of them to be in uniform signing autographs.

Ortega was the starting catcher on Saturday, so I waited until Sunday to get him.

 I also got Balestrieri on Sunday because he was Saturday's starting pitcher.

This poster was handed out before Sunday's game.  My son wanted to see how many players he could get after the game.  I have not taken the time yet to try to identify all the signatures and see if he missed anyone.

The Chiefs did make the Midwest League playoffs and won their first game last night.  They need to win one of two games against Quad Cities to advance to the next round.  It was a fun team to watch this year and I look forward to seeing how some of these young guys advance through the minors in the next few years.       

No comments:

Post a Comment