Thursday, September 13, 2018

Cards of Pitchers who Became HItters

Over the past weekend I read the book "The  Phenomenon" by Rick Ankiel.  I am sure most if not all of you know his story about losing his control as a rookie pitcher in a playoff game, then coming back to the big leagues as an outfielder.  I loved the detail it went into about his troubled past with his father, his struggle to realize he would never cure himself of the "yips", and how he found a renewed loved for baseball as a hitter.  About a month ago Ankiel announced he will try to come back as a relief pitcher next year.  I am rooting for him, but would be surprised to see it happen.  I am sure some team will take a look at a lefty who can throw in the 90s.

My latest trade package from The Bench member smitha1 feature a couple of Ankiel cards.

The 2000 Fleer Gamers short print card finished my team set.  The 2001 Leaf Certified card is not as dark as the scan.  It has a small paragraph on the back about his rookie season, but no mention of his 2000 playoff performance.

Musial was also a pitcher in his minor league days.  He suffered a shoulder injury while diving for a ball in the outfield, thus ending his pitching career.  He almost retired after that because he was not making enough money as a one way player to support his family.  Thank goodness for the coach who talked him out of that.  I still have not completed the 10 card inset set from 1999 Fleer.  Not sure why as these cards are not very tough to find.

Keith McDonald was never a pitcher to my knowledge.  He was never much of a major leaguer either.  He played in only 8 career games, but did leave his mark.  He homered in his first 2 career at bats, one of only 2 players in history to do so.  This 2001 EX short print numbered to 2249 is a nice looking card that does have any autographed version.     




2 comments:

  1. I never knew that about Musial. Cool to know

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here, I never knew about Musial either. There are so many stories about hitters becoming pitchers in the minors, but rarely hear about the other way. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete