Monday, October 23, 2023

Card Show Vintage Buy

My son, wife, and I were able to hit up a new card show on Saturday.  My wife did not want to sit at home alone, plus she wanted to eat at Chick Fil A.  She is not a hobby veteran but also no stranger to cards.  She was very helpful when my son and I split up after our initial walk-through.  The show was close to 150 tables at a national guard armory.  There was plenty of room to get around, but it was hands down the darkest room I have ever been to a show in.  

We spent about 2 hours there.  The first hour or so was looking through value boxes.  A lot of quarter boxes with mixed sports.  We only found 1 dime box, but it had some great buys in it.  I will save the modern cards for another post.  Today I will highlight what I bought from 1 vintage dealer.  He had sets from the 1950s-1970s.  The commons were arranged by number in binders.  The stars and short prints were in 2-row boxes.  Perfect setup for a team collector like myself.  I went the cheaper route and stuck to the binders.  Due to the poor lighting, my wife used her cell phone flashlight so I could see the card numbers and condition better.  I pulled 32 cards totaling $79.50.  The dealer gave me a deal for $70.  


Start things off with some 1963 Topps.  Not a crease to be found on any of these.  Most have 4 good corners.  About the only flaw is the centering on some of them.



I put a huge dent in my 1964 team set with these 15 cards.  The Boyer has a very minor corner crease, and a few have soft corners.   Once again, most are in great shape.  A few bigger names in this group including Boyer, Bill White, Tim McCarver, and a Mike Shannon rookie card.


I cut my 1966 Topps needs in half with these 4 cards.  All in great shape.  


These are the last 2 cheap cards for my 1967 set.  The rest are short prints or Hall of Famers.  


These 3 1971 Topps are in near mint shape despite what my scanner shows.  Not sure why it cut off the top and right edge.  4 more cards left to finish this set.

I was extremely pleased with this find.  For about $2 per card, I put a huge dent in my 1960s wantlist.  I should be able to knock off even more after finding out this dealer only lives 30 minutes from me.  Extremely nice guy who only sets up at a few shows a year like the National and a bigger shows around Nashville.  He gave me his email and phone number.  Great for my collection, not so much for my checkbook.  



      

2 comments:

  1. Nice vintage additions to your collection.

    I've got one of those local dealers that I see outside of shows. It is dangerous what he finds for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an impressive haul of vintage Cardinals. Love that Mike Shannon rookie card from the 1964 Topps set. It's one of my favorite 1960s Cardinals cards and I could not tell you why, just always had strong appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete