Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Cardinals/Cubs Legends Game in Normal

Along with having quite a few minor league baseball teams within driving distance, there are also teams from the Frontier League that are close.  The Frontier League is an independent league made up of 12 teams mostly from Illinois and Missouri.  I have never been to any Frontier games or stadiums until this past Saturday night.  The Normal Cornbelters held their 3rd annual Legends Softball Game featuring former Cardinals and Cubs players.  For $30 each, my family and I got field box seats and tickets to a 90 minute pregame autograph session.  The money raised went toward the local baseball league for physically and mentally handicapped children. 

I believe all 1000 autograph tickets were sold judging by the size of the line.  I would guess we were about 150 deep before we got onto the field for the autograph session.  There were scheduled to be 4 Cardinals and 4 Cubs, but Fernando Tatis could not make it.  As a result, there were 5 Cubs players and 3 Cardinals.  There were a couple of players who played for both teams, but only for a short period of time.  The Cubs players included Derrek Lee, Kyle Farnsworth, Aramis Ramirez, Bob Dernier, and Les Lancaster.   The Cardinals players were Kerry Robinson, Jim Edmonds, and my main guy Ray Lankford.  Onto the autographs.


The only non Cardinals I really wanted to get was Aramis Ramirez.  I traded for these Pirate cards so I can send them off to my Trading Bases Pirate collector.  My wife and daughter were able to get through his line twice.  I also had 2 cards for Lee, but his line was too long for me to sacrifice not getting the two guys I wanted the most.  I did not bring anything for Farnsworth, Dernier, Lancaster, or Robinson.  I have gotten Robinson a few times before at Cardinals Caravans or Winter Warm Up.

I have never gotten an Edmonds in person autograph before.  He has a great signature and takes his time.  He was very talkative and made eye contact with everyone.  My son and I got these 2 cards signed on our first trip through his line.

My daughter and I got the top 2 cards done on our second trip through the Edmonds line.  The autograph session was scheduled to stop at 7:00, but the organizers allowed anyone that was already in a player's line to get the auto.  I think we finished about 7:10.  Not too late, but greatly appreciated. My wife got the Finest card done on her first trip through the line with my daughter.  My daughter got this signed:
 
This ball came out beautiful.  Edmonds gave a great sig on the sweet spot without even being asked.  Edmonds did not play in the game due to having knee surgery a few months back.  I would guess he signed another 100 autographs during the game while he was standing outside the dugout.


It was great to get Edmonds, but the main draw for me was Ray Lankford.  This was the 3rd time this year I have been to one of his signings, with the last 2 being free.  We all were able to get through his line twice for a total of 8 autographs.  The two finest cards are my favorites.  You may noticed I removed the protective film.  I had to take a hair dryer to the corners to get it to peel up.

So I left the best autograph for last.  Or what I was hoping to be the best autograph.

I had bought this seat back from old Busch Stadium earlier this year at a Cardinals game.  Lankford was the all time home run king there with 123.  I thought it would be great to have a seat with his uniform number signed.  It may look ok, but take a closer look:

My stupid self handed it to him upside down.  I may have a chance to get this redone in a couple of weeks, but I will have to see how well I can remove the signature.  My wife says it looks fine, but the perfectionist in me cannot display it like this.  Wish me luck.

It was a great night getting some nice autographs and watching the former players crush some softballs.  Numerous times the players would autograph a softball and toss it into the stands.  I will definitely remember to check my calendar next year for this game.  I will end with a some pics of Edmonds and Lankford.

Edmonds has put on some weight since he cannot move well after the surgery.

 A view from our seats of Lankford in the on deck circle.

Lankford after one of his many home run swings.        
 

No comments:

Post a Comment