Wednesday, August 1, 2018

More Vacation Baseball ... Sort Of

I mentioned in yesterday's post that after watching Springfield Cardinals game on Friday night, we headed home the next morning.  We did make it home around noon Saturday, but my son and I were soon back in the van.  After helping the girls unpack and get a quick shower and change of clothes, we were off to Indianapolis to watch the Triple A team of the Pirates.  The 2 hour drive seemed short compared to the 14 hour drive to Colorado.

So why would I go see another minor league game not involving a Cardinals team?  Because I love baseball and it was team autograph night.  2 or 3 times each year the Indians have a team autograph session before a Saturday night game that lasts about 45 minutes.  It is a great way to pick up a lot of autos for a good trading friend who is a big Pirates friend.  Just like Springfield, it was also a bobblhead give away night.

Last year Gift Ngoepe became the first MLB player from Africa.  During the offseason he was traded to Toronto.  The Indians were playing the Buffalo Bisons that night, which is the Blue Jays Triple A team.  Ngoepe is on the Bisons, but did not play.  He did have a nice video message on the scoreboard thanking the Indians fans for their support.


Also like Springfield, the Indians's tickets feature former players.  I cannot tell who these players are, but I assume the pictures were taken after walk off wins.  The game was almost a sell out with no lower level seats together, so we opted for lawn tickets.  We sat behind the right field fence for 3 innings before deciding to head home.  A week away and over 2,000 miles on the road caught up with my son.  I could tell he was tired so we packed up.  On to the autos.

I managed to trade for quite a few cards I used for autos.  TCDB is a great site for searching for cards.  Bostick just got called up yesterday, so I guess we were lucky to get him.  Martin came over from Houston in the Gerrit Cole trade.

My trading friend sent me this Sadler card last year, but he was injured when we were there.  Glad I can send it back signed.  The Clay Holmes card was another trade pick up.

Neverauskas made his debut last year and has been up and done since.  He was the first MLB player born in Lithuania.  It would have been cool to have Ngoepe complete the 2017 Topps Update card, but I never saw him before the game.

Kevin Kramer is the Pirates #8 prospect.  He must be a collector because I had another card that he had never seen before that he wanted to keep.  It is now in his collection.  Very nice and polite guy.


Kevin Newman was one of the main guys I wanted to get.  He is the Pirates #7 prospect.  He is a middle infielder with great speed, hits for average and plays good defense.  He was at the same table as Kramer and was just as polite.  My son and I both had autograph books with 2 cards of him on a page.  He signed them and asked if we had more.  He knocked out the remaining 3 cards we had and thanked us for coming.  I wish I could have finished the bottom card, but  Austin Meadows was called up to Pittsburgh that morning.  He was then traded to Tampa yesterday in the Chris Archer deal, so this card will most likely never be done.

About the only negative I had from the Indy trip was not being able to get Pirates #1 prospect Mitch Keller.  He was the starting pitcher that night and did not sign pre game.  Maybe early next year I can get him before he gets called up.   

 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment