Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Vintage Pickups from Indy

 Last Saturday my son and I took a guys' day and headed to Indianapolis to catch an Indians game.  I will get to the game in another post.  We left early enough to hit up a local card shop.  It has been 4 or 5 years since we have been to Indy Card Exchange.  Since then they have moved to a new location on the north side of town.  The new shop is very well organized.  We spent about an hour looking through various boxes for some common cards to have autographed at the game later that night.  We did not have much luck finding any, but I was able to add a handful of vintage Cardinals to my collection.  They are not in perfect condition, but the prices were too good to pass up.


This 1959 Ken Boyer cost $5.  The corners are pretty rough, and there is a slight crease in the upper left corner.  My scanner cut off the right edge, it looks a lot better than what is shown.  


For $3, this 1966 Mike Shannon is almost perfect.  Corners are very good.  The only blemish is a slight crease in the upper left corner.  Shannon past away late last month after more than 50 years in the Cardinals organization as a player and broadcaster.  I admit he was not my favorite announcer, but he sure was original.


This 1966 Bob Gibson was the most expensive card at $10.  It has some corner wear and a slight crease but otherwise is in very good condition.  


The final card I bought was this 1969 Topps Lou Brock for $8.  Like the other cards, it has some soft corners.  It is very off-centered top to bottom, but is free of any major creases.  $28 for 2 Hall of Famers and 2 local legends is a great deal in my book.
  


   

2 comments:

  1. Nice vintage pickups, especially the Gibson and Brock. I just picked up a 1963 Ken Boyer from COMC and I'm very pleased with it. Especially since I'd made an offer on a PSA-graded copy and the seller rejected it. Saved me about $60 and I might have an even better copy than the PSA 7!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice find on the Boyer. More and more I am spending time at shows and shops looking for vintage. Not into the graded stuff, just wanting to complete team sets.

      Delete