Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Big Chunk from 2001

 Last week, I wrote a post showing off some 2001 Topps HTA cards, the first in my collection.  I added the rest of the Cardinals to my want list after that trade.  TCDB member Jaysredlegs proposed a trade shortly after, which brought me quite a few more.


13 more to be exact.  2 trades have brought in 26 of the 36 Cardinals in the set, with a few more on there way.  There is not a Pujols card in this set, so I should be able to finish this one sometime this year.


It is rare to trade for a 1990s parallel I need like this 1999 Fleer Tradition Warning Track card.  I doubt dealers will have 20 year old cards in dime boxes at shows, so Sportlots may be the answer to finishing this set.


Nice to grab a short print from 2005 Turkey Red.  Now to find the Pujols short print to complete the set.


The final 2 cards included another short print, this one from 1999 Ultimate Victory.  I remember going to card shows in 2000 and 2001 with my wife hunting Drew cards.  She had a major crush on him until we met him at a show.  He signed a ball for her and never looked up or said a word.  Just rolled in across the table.  At the same show, I paid $25 less to meet Stan Musial.  Stan shook my hand, asked where I was from, and thanked me for coming.  I still have both balls, though 1 never gets looked at.


  
  
      

2 comments:

  1. Damn. Drew charged $25 more than Musial? That's crazy. Sorry your wife had a bad experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drew was $75, Musial $50. That was during Drew's peak when he was being called the next Mantle.

      Delete