Monday, March 25, 2024

Card Show Recap

Unlike the last card show I attended, I am not waiting almost a month to recap the one my son and I attended this past Saturday.  This one was only a 45 minute drive.  Free admission and 80 tables is hard to beat.  We knew it was going to be a good show when the first dealer we saw had 5 5,000 count boxes full of dime cards.  About an hour later, we pulled 65 cards that cost us $6.  Small discount without even asking is a great way to start.  


We managed to find a few Cardinals we needed.  


2014 mini blue refractors numbered to 250


3 online exclusive 582 Montgomery cards.  Wish there were more of these.


Some miscellaneous inserts and parallels were too hard to pass up for a dime each.



It is rare for me to show off Cub cards or even buy them, but the Grace 1996 Ultra Gold Medallion Prime Leather is cool card.  These will be easy to trade with my new TCDB Cub collector.

The rest of the dime cards consisted of Pirates and Yankees for trading friend Ron B, and about 25 assorted Topps Gold parallels from 2014-2020.  No big names, but once again, these are great values for 10 cents each.


The next dealer had a little bit of everything at his table, including some low-grade vintage.  This 1965 Topps card was marked at $5.  Once again, without even asking for a discount, the dealer sold it for $3.  The corners are rough, and there is a slight crease in one of them, but how can I pass up a Mays card for that price.


Our third buy was 3 cards for $1.  The Cruz variation caught my eye first.  


The next dealer had 2 boxes full of Cardinals separated by player.  Most were common cards, but I did find a Wainright regional card I needed along with 2 Busch Stadium cards I use for in person autographs.  These were $1 total.  Had a nice conversation with this dealer and found out he is a member of TCDB also.



The next dealer had several boxes full of inserts sorted by teams.  Great setup, except nothing was priced.  I am always hesitant to pull any card that is not marked, but he had some Altuves my son needed and a couple of Pirates, so we made a deal for $10.  Not a horrible deal, just not as good as some others.  


The last dealer we bought from was all ungraded vintage.  My kind of guy.  These 3 1959 cards and 2 1960 cards were marked $3 each, but he cut us a deal for $10.  All are in excellent condition.  I consider the Cimoli a Cardinals card even though it lists him as a Pirate.

Overall it was a great show.  About 2.5 hours and $31 spent was a good morning.  This is a quarterly show that I will be sure to hit up in late June again.  






 


  

1 comment:

  1. A. Five 5,000 count dime boxes = card show heaven

    B. Vintage Mays (and Santo... and Boyer) for $3 is a great purchase.

    ReplyDelete