Monday, October 21, 2024

Card Show Recap

Saturday was the first time in 2 months that my son did not have a soccer game and/or a band competition.  Both those activities have come to an end for another season.  What better way to waste a Saturday than to hit up a card show.  Luck was on our side as there was a 100-table show about an hour away in my daughter's college town.  While my wife took her clothes shopping, my son and I spent a couple hours looking at cardboard.

Being my first show in 2 months, I was excited to hit some bargain boxes and add some vintage Cardinals to the collection.  We managed to do a little of both.  Dime boxes were nowhere to be found except for some recent Topps base cards.  Dollar boxes were the norm at this show, but we did manage to find a few quarter boxes.  We pulled 8 cards, 3 of which were Cardinals.


Nothing earth-shattering here, but all welcome additions. 

Our next stop was a dealer from whom we had bought a few vintage cards from before.  He remembered us and produced a newly restocked box of $1 cards.  We found 9 Cardinals from my want list.


Hard to pass up 1959 Topps cards for $1 each.  The Grammas has some surface issues, but overall these are in good shape.  At the very least, they are good placeholders until I find better copies.



I doubt I will upgrade any of these 1960 Topps cards.  Slight fuzzy corners, but I do not mind that at all.


The last 3 include a 1962 Topps, 1965 Topps, and  1975 Hostess.  No upgrades needed here either.  

Our final purchase came from a dealer with some numbered cards in a $1 box.  He cut us a deal by charging $5 for these 8 cards.  


I was thrilled to find the short print rookie cards for $1 each before the discount.  I rarely see these types of cards at shows.  With most being over 20 years old, I doubt many are floating around.  

We spent $20, including admission.  I was looking for a nice vintage Musial, Brock, or Gibson to add, but no luck.  I saw a few graded copies, but I prefer raw.  Maybe next time.
    



    
    

    

No comments:

Post a Comment