Monday, January 2, 2017

Finishing Up with the 50s

I feel bad it has taken me a little over a month to go through the priority box that Brady from St. Louis Cardinals Cardboard sent around Thanksgiving.  All the extra events with the holiday season seemed to cut my hobby time in half, but now that the calendar has turned to January things should get somewhat back to normal for a few weeks.  My daughter starts her basketball and volleyball seasons by the end of the month, so spare time may become a very precious commodity.  At any rate, this post will finish up the highlights of Brady's generosity by showing off the cards from the 1950s.

 I mentioned in yesterday's post that most of the cards I received from the 1960s were in good condition or better.  I cannot say the same about these 2 1950 Bowman cards, but they are over 65 years old.  The corners and centering are good, but it looks like someone folded the cards in half.  Both still great cards anyway and are now the oldest cards in my collection.  The cards are 2 inches wide by 2.5 inches tall.

1951 Bowman cards were also 2 inches wide, but the height changed to 3 inches.  You may be wondering when the Cardinals had Browns on their uniform.  Technically this is not a Cardinals card.  The Browns played in St. Louis from 1902-1953 before moving to Baltimore and becoming the Orioles.

I wonder if this 1952 Bowman makes me a Hank Afrt player collector.  Most likely not, but check out the offer on the back of the card.


For $1.50 and 5 wrappers you could get a cap of your favorite team.  What a deal.

Bowman changed the size of cards again in 1954.  The cards were now 2.5 inches wide by 3.75 inches tall.  A storage nightmare because they do not fit in a top loader or 9 pocket sheet.

Rounding out the Bowman part of the package are these 2 from 1955.  If you find Jerry somewhere, tell him I have his Vic Raschi card. 

My first Topps cards from the 50s are these 2 1955 cards.  Rip's real name was Eldon John.  I would go by Rip also.  Topps followed Bowman's lead by making the cards 2.5x3.75 inches. 

 
1957 Topps cards measure the same as cards today, 2.5x3.5 inches.  Pretty simple design with the white border.  I am not for sure if there is a reason why one card has the first name in yellow and the other 2 are in white.  Maybe I will have to look that up on a rainy day.


1958 Topps more than made up for the lack of color in 1957.  The red back drop and green team name plates remind of a certain holiday we just had.  Green and black or orange and black not so much.


Rounding out the decade are these 1959 Topps.  You may noticed I scanned 2 cards of Chuck Essegian and Billy Harrell.  A look at the backs will show why.

From what I have read, some of the cards have a gray back version.  I guess that is better than the gimmicks Topps has used in the past few years like sparkles or pie in the face.  At least it is easier to spot.

Wow that took a long time to cover.  So much so that Brady sent another box in the meantime .  This one was a 300 or 400 count box.  It did not take nearly as long to go through.  My debt is getting bigger and bigger though.

No comments:

Post a Comment