Monday, May 7, 2018

Great Baseball Weekend

It finally seems like baseball season is here.  The weather in southern Illinois has been a bit on the cold side for baseball, but the last week has brought some seasonal temps that are hopefully here to stay.  My son is in full season with league and travel ball.  His travel team won a 7 team tournament over the weekend by winning 4 straight games, 3 of which were by 10 or more runs.  The Cardinals had a great weekend for the most part by sweeping the Cubs with 2 walk off home runs.  The only down side was the Yadier Molina injury.  If you have not heard, he took a foul tip from a 102 mph pitch right to the groin.  He had surgery on Friday night and will be out 4 weeks, but I would bet he will try to come back sooner.

Also this weekend I was able to attend my first minor league game of the year in Peoria.  My kids had a half day of school on Friday, so we made the 3 hour drive up to watch the Chiefs play the South Bend Cubs.  Our main reason for going was the promo item that night.

With Friday being May the 4th, a lot of minor league teams had Star Wars night.  The Chiefs joined in with a Harrison "Darth Bader"  bobblehead.  Although it is not a full size bobble head like the ones given out in St. Louis, it is not a mini either.  Very nicely done and I came away with 3 extras that I plan to trade for other Cardinal bobbleheads.

 I also had a chance to get a few autographs.  There are not too many players on the Chiefs with cards out that I have not already gotten.  I did manage to find 2 players that I needed.

Bryce Denton was a second round pick in 2015.  He spent a few games in Peoria last year before moving back down to short season State College.  He was drafted as a third baseman, but is now an outfielder.  His bat has not really came around, but he is still only 20 years old.

Scott Hurst was a third round pick in 2017.  He played in State College to finish the 2017 season.  He just joined Peoria the end of April.  I do not know much about him other than he is rather small.  I was hoping to see him play, but he sat out Friday's game.  The Chiefs did win 12-3 and we saw some awesome fireworks after the game.  About the only downside was getting home at 1:30 in the morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment