Monday, October 22, 2018

Card Show Report

It was a busy weekend for my family.  Friday night my daughter was planning to go to a Halloween dance, but it was cancelled due to the rain (dance was to be held outside).  Instead we made the 2 hour drive to the University of Illinois to watch the #7 ranked women's volleyball team.  The Illini beat #13 Michigan in 5 sets.  I will say the ladies can pound a volleyball.  I would have second thoughts about putting my 5'11" frame in front of one of their spikes. 

My wife wanted to go shopping on Saturday.  I was told half a day, but knowing her mom and sister were also going I had my doubts. We left the house about 7:30 and returned close to 5:00.  A little more than half a day by my standards.  I had planned to finish building a pitching mound for my son Saturday afternoon, but that had to wait until Sunday.  I was able it yesterday and he will try it out tonight. 

One positive about the shopping trip was there was also a card show in the same area.  My son and I had over 2 hours to kill at a small mall show with around 20 tables.  I have been to this show once earlier this year with a little luck, but knew that there would not be a lot of selection.  Lots of vintage, one dealer selling boxes, and a lot of general miscellaneous stuff.  I did notice a lot of nice display cases that did not have a single card priced.  This is one of my pet peeves when it comes to shows.  Anyway, I was able to find a few cards for my Cardinals collection and some trade bait.
 
There were no dime boxes to be found, but I did stumble across some quarter boxes.  All of these 2018 Topps cards are photo variations.  Not the most rare of cards, but for a quarter each somebody will most likely need them.

The same quarter boxes also had a bunch of former Cardinals.  Yes I spent money on mini cards that I love to hate.

I was too lazy to check my inventory on TCDB to see if I had these 2018 parallels.  I needed the Norris rainbow foil, but already had the Lynn.  At least it was only a 25 cent mistake.

The other dealer I bought from had a box of vintage Cardinals for 20% off the sticker price.  These 4 1970 Topps cards set me back $20, but all of them are in great shape minus one soft corner on the Carlton card.  The Cardenal is one of those high number short prints.  Despite what my scanner did to the photo, all have great centering.  This knocked my team set down to needing just one card that the dealer did not have.  Maybe I will be able to track it down before the end of the year. 
      


No comments:

Post a Comment