Monday, October 29, 2018

Coke and Oz

My latest trade package came from TCDB member belijr.  This trade has to be one of my favorites in recent memory due to the great variety it contained.  I welcome any Cardinals base I need from the last few years, but it is the harder to find 1980s stuff that gets me excited more.


I have seen the 1981 Topps Coke set on EBAY many times, but never had the chance to trade for one. I already had the checklist and Bruce Sutter, so these 9 along with the Keith Hernandez that the trader is mailing will complete my set.  There were 12 teams that Coke produced sets for in 1981.  From what I can tell, the cards were distributed regionally in Coke products.

George Hendrick was about the only Cardinals player you could consider being big hitter in the early 1980s.  He appeared in the set from 1981-1984 Drake sets.

Other than the 1985 Leaf card, I could not identify the other 3 Ozzie cards by site.  The Green Classic Game card is from 1987, the Fleer Kay Bee Team Leaders is from 1988, and the Baseball Card Magazine is from 1989. 

Donruss All Star packs include these quirky pop up cards in the 1980s, this one from 1986.  I remember popping these and displaying them on my dresser as a kid.  They did not stand the test of time in my room.

As a kid I would go to my local SuperX drug store and buy packs of Sportsflics.  I did not care if there were packs of Topps, Fleer, or Donruss.  I loved the "magic motion" of these cards.  This 1987 Joe Magrane is from the Rookies subset.

I did score a few modern cards with these 3 2018 Heritage High Number Cardinals.  This was the last of the base Cardinals I needed, but I need all of the SPs.  Could be a while before this set gets done.

No comments:

Post a Comment