Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Oddball Killer on the Loose in Atlanta

I am slowly getting back into the collecting world the last few weeks.  I have bought a few things off EBAY, have plans to attend a card show this weekend, and have mailed a few cards out.  Monday I received a nice bubble mailer from Tony who writes the very entertaining blog Off Hiatus Baseball Cards .  I believe this is the third time we have exchanged cards since I started blogging back in February of this year.  Tony always sends a nice assortment of Cardinals from my wantlist, ranging from the mainstream sets to the oddball cards that discount stores put out the the late 1980s.  This latest packaged contained more of the same.



These four 1986 Fleer minis completed my team set.  Vince Coleman was my first player collection.  It was a hard day for me when he signed with the Mets.  His career never seemed the same after he left St. Louis.  The 100 stolen bases per season never happened again. 





Classic seemed to put out 2 or 3 sets per year in the late 1980s.  These 3 completed my 1987 Update set.  I did not scan the back, but none of these had any career stats on them.  Instead there was a short write up about the player's college or minor league career. 

Tony sent the entire 1988 Starting Lineup Talking Baseball Cardinals set.  I just scanned the Ozzie Smith because he was the last one I needed. 


I love the 3D cards Kellogs inserted in cereal boxes.  This 1982 Hernandez is in great shape, does not have the curl a lot of the cards show.  I need Bruce Sutter to finish this set.


Score put out countless sets like Hot Rookies, Star Rookies, etc.  These 1991 Superstar cards finished another team set. 


Back in the early 1990s many card magazines would include card panels in their publications.  Two of these are from 1990 Baseball Card Magazine, the other from 1991.
The Ozzie Smith is a sticker card from 1997 Collector's Choice.  The Cardinals logo/pennant sticker is from 1988 Panini.  Swell put out a couple of sets in 1990 and 1991.  The Gibson is from 1991.  I have never been of fan of Triple Play cards, licensed or not.  The Holliday cards is from 2012.  The back is part of a 9 card puzzle set the completes the picture on the front. 

Tony also included 2 2014 Turkey Red cards.  Turkey Red was only available online that year.  These are the first Cardinals I have from this set.  There are 3 more Cardinals in this set: Molina, Wainwright, and Miller.


Once again a great group of Cardinals.  Tony's Brewers played the Cardinals tough this last weekend.  Scoring 7 runs in the ninth to win Sunday's game hurt a lot.  At least they also beat up the Pirates this year, winning 10 of 19 games including a 7 game winning streak.  Thanks Tony!




No comments:

Post a Comment