Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Comparing an IP Auto vs a Certified Auto

I have been to Peoria 3 different times this season to watch a total of 5 games.  Each time I have been lucky enough to get an auto from pitcher Jake Woodford.  The Cardinals drafted him 39th overall in the 2015 draft.  He has pitched the entire season in Low A as a 19 year old and was named a mid season All Star.  While 3 other pitchers from the starting rotation have been promoted, Woodford remains in Peoria.  My guess is the Cardinals want him to experience the playoffs in September. 

Last week I received this 2015 Bowman Chrome certified auto that I won on EBAY for $4.50 delivered.
I had the non auto version of this card signed two weeks ago.
I think it is neat to compare how a player signs sitting down as opposed to signing at the ball park.  In the case of the IP auto, Woodford was signing quite a few that day because it was team auto day at the park.  The J, W, and f remain consistent in each case, but he shorten his first name to just the J and also shorten his last name to just 3 letters (if you want to call the last line the d in his name). 

These 3 cards I got signed in early June at a game.  Woodford was charting pitches in the stands that night.  Our seats were close to him, so after the game he signed for us.  Very similar to the 2 cards from 2 weeks ago, with the slight difference of the k in his first name.  Maybe since he only signed 3 cards he took a little more time. 

I will say Woodford has been very polite and even talkative the 3 times I have seen him this year.  It is nice to see a young player who was a high draft pick not be arrogant or self centered.  I wish him the best of luck and hope to see him in the Majors in 2-3 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment