Thursday, February 16, 2017

1990s Goodies from Kerry

Continuing my trade recap from Kerry of Cards on Cards fame, here are a bunch of 1990s oddballs.

Classic, Swell, and Pacific Legends are not the typical 1990 cards you see everyday.  I find it very funny Bob Horner is considered a legend.  If you do think of him as a legend it is more likely as a member of the Braves.

These are my first 1991 Topps Archives cards.  Not very many household name there, not even for a Cardinals fan.

Classic put out 3 different sets in 1991: Series 1, Series 2, and Game.   I believe purple is the Game series, green is 1, and red is 2.  

1992 Classic had the same 3 versions.  I have not done my research yet to figure out what is what.

Kerry informed me he has never been to Canada, and that a lot of these cards were duplicates.  I will gladly take duplicate O-PEE-CHEE Cardinals anytime.

It is nice to see not all the 1992 Panini Stickers found their way into a book.  Back in my younger days I would have found a place for them.  

I had never even heard of 1992 Topps Kids before I received these.  Where were these cards hiding when I was a kid in 1992?  

I had not heard of the 1993 Milkbone set either.  Nice to see man's best friend getting some cardboard love also.  

If you need to brush up on your Spanish baseball terms, I suggest looking over 1993 Pacific cards.  I had 2 years of Spanish back in high school that I can say helped me very little with reading the card backs.  Of course that was over 20 years ago.  

1993 Panini stickers are a lot more colorful than the 1992 version.  The stickers are also slightly larger.  

 Another set I had no idea that existed is 1994 Stadium Club Draft Picks.  The Cardinals sure did not do a good job in that draft by picking Dale in the second round.

I know this is not an oddball, but I love 1990s Finest cards.  It is very hard not to peel the coating off.  I have done this with duplicate Cardinals and the cards look so much better.  

I am not a fan of the player profile on these 1996 Pinnacle Aficionado cards.  It makes the player look like a ghost watching himself in action.  


1997 Finest added player descriptions to the front of the cards, although I do not think of Royce Clayton as a warrior.  I do not like the bronze background as much as the green diamond on the 1995 version.

At first glance these may seem like 1997 Pinnacle cards, but they are really New Pinnacle cards.  With names and ideas like that, I can see why Pinnacle did not make baseball cards very long.  I do like the photography on these.

 Back in 1998, JD Drew was about as hot a card as anyone.  This Donruss Signature and his Leaf Rookies & Stars cards where very hard to find at reasonable prices.  

The name plate on these 1998 Paramount cards is way too difficult to read.  Pacific was very busy in the late 1990s cranking out 5 or 6 sets a year with each one seeming to have 10-15 parallels apiece using every color you could imagine.  I do miss some of the designs, but not the headache trying to figure out what type of card you just pulled.

Rounding out today's post are 2 1999 Pacific cards.  A much cleaner look than the Paramount cards.  Although card companies went overboard with production in the 1990s, I do miss the variety of cards that were offered back then.  Now I get excited to find Topps putting cards in pizza boxes.  Maybe this year we will see the return of Kraft Mac N Cheese cards or Post Cereal cards. 



No comments:

Post a Comment