Wednesday, April 5, 2017

The Queen Got Me

I consider myself a very budget minded collector.  I mentioned my EBAY buying habits in yesterday's post.  When I go to the occasional card show, I try to keep my spending under $25.  Most of that is spent in quarter or dime boxes.  In the past few years, I have almost spent as much money on postage mailing trades than I have on buying cards.  A major reason for this is not buying any packs or boxes.

After I graduated college I was buying a hobby box or two each month.  Fast forward 5 years and my spending changed dramatically when my wife and I built a house.  Add in 2 children shortly after  we moved in and my card budget took a back seat clothes, dance/sports lessons, etc.  I still get the itch to open packs ever now and then, but try to avoid the card aisle in any big box store I go to.

Last night my wife sent me to Wal-Mart to buy a few things for the kids' Easter baskets.  I knew I was in trouble when Pokemon cards were on the list.  Of course those are right next to the baseball cards.  I debated in between a fat pack of 2017 Donruss and 2017 Gypsy Queen for a few minutes before the lack of logos made me put the Donruss pack back.  The $20 blaster was tempting, but the $10 fat pack offered 3 packs and a 5 card pack with green bordered cards.

 Trout and Lindor were my notable base cards.  Not a single Cardinal card among them.

The green border cards look nice, but once again no Cardinals.  Even worse I pulled a Cub.

The only insert/parallel I pulled was this purple border #ed to 250.  I was glad to see Topps went away from the raised borders for the colored parallels. 

So for $10 I got a few nice cards for trade bait and no Cardinals.  Considering it only took me about 5 minutes to open everything, I should have bought a movie ticket instead.  If anyone wants anything drop me an email or message.
   

2 comments:

  1. I liked the green parallels this year. The nameplate parallels are pretty awful in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a fan of the no name or blackless parallels either. Give me a colored parallel any day of the week.

      Delete