Monday, February 24, 2020

Minor League Cards

I love the minor leagues.  I attended my first game in 2007 in Springfield, Mo to watch the Cardinals Double A team.  At that time it was me, my wife, and 2 year old daughter.  We drove almost 6 hours to watch Colby Rasmus play.  At the time he was the Cardinals best prospect since the JD Drew and Rick Ankiel era.  I cannot remember how he did those 2 games or even if the Cardinals won.  We were so impressed with the laid back feeling of the ballpark.  It was so easy to get close to the players.  The fireworks show was also first rate.

Fast forward to 2020 and we still attend quite a few minors games.  Most of our time is spent in Peoria now.  The 3 hour drive makes it possible to attend a game and make it back home in the same day.  It also helps that the Cardinals took over the team in 2013 from the Cubs.

I always make it a point to buy a Peoria team set each year.  These cards are great to get autographed. Some of these Low A players may never have another card, so the minor league card is the only option.  Besides the team set, there is also a Midwest League All Star or Top Prospect set.  I have never purchased any of these because I do not feel like spending $8-$10 for only a few Chiefs cards.  Thanks to a trade with TCDB member dsorek, I now have a few of these in my collection.



None of these players made the big leagues.  I am not for sure if any of them are still bouncing around with other teams or not.  C. J. McElroy is the biggest name among the group.  He is the son of former pitcher Chuck McElroy.  He was the Cardinals 3rd round pick in 2011.  He had a ton of speed, but never could get on base enough to use it.


The jury is still out on these 2 guys.  Montero was the Midwest League MVP in 2018, but lost most of 2019 to a hand injury.   When he was healthy, he did not hit as well.  Not sure if he will stay in the Cardinals system unless he changes to first base.  I believe the Cardinals see Nolan Gorman as their third baseman of the future.  Hurst was 3rd round pick in 2017.  He has not manged to stay healthy for a full season.  With the surplus of outfields in Memphis and St. Louis, I cannot see him having much of a future in St. Louis.


Gorman debuted in Peoria in 2018  just 2 months after being draft in the first round as a 19 year old.  He is the first player born in this century to be drafted.  He has a ton of power, but will need to make consistent contact.  Having met him a few times, I hope he turns out well.  He is a quiet kid, but has been nothing but polite.  Nunez  tore up the Dominican Summer League in 2018, but did not fare very well in 2019.  After starting the year in  Peoria and not hitting his weight, he was sent down to rookie ball.  I am guessing he will start in Peoria again this year.  He is similar to Montero.  Both are limited to corner infield positions due to their size.  Both hit well before the 2019 season.          


No comments:

Post a Comment