Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Mac Attack

I was able to sit down last night and watch some of the Cardinal/Cub game.  A part of me knows there is a very good chance the Cubs will clinch the division in St. Louis.  I watched the game anyway and was surprised the Cardinals jumped to an early lead.  I was not surprised that they almost blew a big lead in the late innings.  The Cards used 4 home runs to score their 8 runs.  One of those was a Tommy Pham moon shot that landed in Big Mac Land.  That home run reminded me I needed to scan in some cards I received in a trade last week from TCDB member madams30.



Upper Deck went crazy producing hundreds of McGwire cards in 1999 and 2000.  These Mark on History inserts from 1999 UD Challengers for 70 are part of a 25 card set highlighting various home runs from the 1998 season.  I think I have about half of them now.

Some McGwire inserts are better than others.  The 1999 Skybox Premium Live Bats is nothing special, but the 1997 Upper Deck Star Attractions die cut card is pretty nice. 

I liked UD Victory sets back in the day.  It was cheap set and would feature some lesser known players like Super Joe McEwing.  Of course you would still get multiple McGwire base cards, but I guess that just means there are more cards to chase down.


Moving on from the McGwire cards, these 1985 Fleer Star Stickers are the first in my collection.  It would be nice to have a name on the front instead of the number, but overall they are not bad. 

The Cardinals had some bade teams in the early 1990s.  The Smith boys were about the only highlights for me outside of Ray Lankford. 

Speaking of Lankford, I received two in the trade.  The 1994 Score Gold Rush is in mint condition, where the one I had has a bad corner.  Somehow I was missing the 2000 Pacific Crown Collection card.  It pays to check your have list ever now and then.

1998 Pacific had some sharp photography.  I love the throwback uniform on the Royce Clayton card.  The nameplate is a little too busy, and the logo could be somewhere else, but overall I like the design.

I do not like 1998 Pacific Online.  Way too busy of a card with all the text at the top.  It is just an ugly card plain and simple.
 


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete