Tuesday, September 26, 2017

One of My Favorite Trades

Last week I worked out a trade with The Bench member Hendu29 that featured nothing but Cardinals going in both directions.  I sent him a stack of former Cardinals star Albert Pujols cards that were sitting in my doubles box.  He sent me some colorful cards of hopeful future Cardinals stars.

Jacob Wilson's chances of having a bright future with the Cardinals are slim.  He has been in the minors since 2012 with only 2 partial seasons in Triple A.  He spent most of this year in Double A, but was promoted to Memphis in time to play in the Triple A playoffs.  He has always been a favorite of mine since watching him play for the Peoria Chiefs in 2013.

Carson Kelly's minor league days should be over.  I look for him to be the backup catcher next year.  He should get a lot of playing time this week with Yadi Molina being out with a possible concussion and the Cardinals being all but out of the playoffs.

I have high hopes for Reyes next year.  I am not sure he will be a full time starter coming back from his TJ surgery, but he could still make an impact in the bullpen.  With Trevor Rosenthal expected to miss the 2018 season with his own TJ surgery, Reyes may slide into the closer's role.




The bulk of the trade were these Jack Flaherty cards.  He was a stud in Double and Triple A this year.  He had so so results in his 3 starts in St. Louis before being moved to the bullpen.  His rotation spot for next year depends on Lance Lynn's free agency and Adam Wainwright's health.  He will be 22 next year, so I would bet the Cardinals will keep a very close eye on his innings.     
   

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic trade-I checked out again from the Redbirds-after Matheny made us sit through extra innings of 109 degree day after pulling Lynne after 8 1 hit innings-I am out. Guy at the card show this week was grabbing all the Luke Weaver cards he could get-often before I got to them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the turnover next year is not just players, but some coaches. I doubt Matheny is going anywhere. Weaver has been a stud up until his last start. I think he will be one of the starting five next year.

      Delete