Monday, March 26, 2018

Better Than A Blaster: Sportlots Edition

With all the new card brands that have been released recently, I had an itch to open up some packs last week.  I had a Visa gift card from Christmas with about $15 left on it, so off to the local Wal-Mart I went.  I knew there was little chance of finding any 2018 Gypsy Queen cards, but I was hopeful for some Heritage or even Opening Day.  No such luck though, as the only 2018 baseball left on the shelves was Series 1. 

Feeling a little discouraged, I headed home with thoughts of hopping on EBAY to find something nice.  On the drive home, I decided to instead knock off some set wants and surf Sportlots.  I know a lot of collectors do not like to use Sportlots because of having to pay multiple shipping fees, but I always make sure to buy from one seller.  This time I chose seller cogrinch.  I have purchased cards from him twice before with good luck.  He has over 78,000 baseball cards listed with very reasonable shipping rates.  I was able to find a ton of set needs going all the way back to 1995.

The oldest cards are from 1995.  The Ken Hill finished my Finest set, while the 2 other cards started my Panini set.

The lone card from 1996  this Topps Chrome.  It is hard to find Topps Chrome from the 1990s for trade, or at card shows.  Maybe the cards being 20 years old explains that.

I also need a ton of Chrome from 1997, Topps more so than Bowman.  I need one more Bowman, but a ton more Topps Chrome.  Maybe I can find another seller with most of them.

I was able to finish my 1998 Bowman Chrome set.  Just like the 1997 set, I need a ton of the 1998 Topps Chrome cards.

Finishing out the 1990s with more Chrome.

2000 started a new decade of needing more Topps Chrome cards.

There are quite a few 2001 team sets that I will most likely not complete due to the Pujols rookie card.  Bowman Heritage is one of them.

I love the Topps Archives sets from the early 2000s.  Topps did a nice job including some lesser know players and managers.  I remember opening some packs of 2001 Topps Heritage and thinking this brand would not make it.  Boy was I wrong.

I finished the 2001 Heritage set with the 6 cards from this order.  The blue background is by far better than the burnt orange background.  Maybe the set designer was an Illini fan.

2002 Archives loved Red Schoendienst so much that he got a card as a player and a manager.    

My first Finest card from the package finished my 2002 set.







I was not as lucky to finish my 2002 Heritage set.  I still need 3 SPs, one of them being Pujols.

I kept the Heritage theme for 2003 to go along with Bowman Chrome.  I only need Chris Duncan to finish the Heritage set, but it is a dreaded SP.  I will not pay $5 for a Chris Duncan card, so this set may never get finished.

I did not find very many 2004 or 2005 cards that I needed.  I always think of 2004 Bowman Heritage as the TV set. 


2008 Heritage is the bulls eye set.  This one has a ton of Cardinals SP cards.  I need 6 to finish the set.

2010 Heritage was not as bad as 2008, but the 2 SPs I need are both Pujols cards.  It is always nice to find base cards for premium brands like Tribute and Museum Collection.  This one is from 2012.

I can look past the lack of logos if the set is a cool one like 2013 Panini Hometown Heroes.  Panini also included some shortprints in the base set, as Miller has another card that is an SP.

The black and white photos make the lack of logos less noticeable on these 2014 Panini Classics cards.  It is nice seeing players from the 1920s and 1930s like Medwick and Bottomley being included in recent issues.

The Kaminsky card finished my 2015 Heritage Minors set.  If I ever break another hobby box, Heritage Minors would be a strong canidate.  Although 2015 Elite Extra Edition is also a minor league issue, I do not like it nearly as well.  The Rosenthal is a 2014 Archives card.  I still need 2 more cards to finish this set.

The last cards in the package were from 2017.  I usually try to trade for recent cards before I buy them, but Finest and Heritage Minors are 2 sets that I do not come across very often.

To sum up the order, I paid $14.95 for 64 cards.  That included a $3.50 fee for shipping in a padded envelope with 2 nice snap cases.  I also earned $0.64 store credit from this seller for a future order.  I would say this was a lot better than any blaster I would have found.   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment