Thursday, October 3, 2019

A Few Packs from Saturday

Today I will finish up my recap of my son and I's Saturday trip to St. Louis.  After the card show, a quick fast food lunch, and a few hours at the Cardinals Museum, we headed home.  About 15 minutes into the ride, my son informed me we did not open any packs yet.  This is somewhat of a ritual for us anytime we take a road trip.  After short discussion of what he wanted to open, we hit up a Target in hopes of finding Topps Fire.  We do not have a Target within an hour's drive of our home, so this may be the only chance for us to get any. 

There were no blaster boxes of Fire to be found, just so hanger packs.  My son switched gears somewhat and decided to get 2 hangers of Topps Chrome that included 3 packs and 3 pink refractors.  To get our odd number of packs, he chose a single Topps Fire.  As in the past, who ever got the best card could open the odd number pack.  We did not do very well with the Chrome.

 Each pack of Chrome had an insert in it.  The bottom 2 are regular refractors.  My son pulled the Thor 1984 card, so I needed something good out of the pink packs to beat him.

Once again he topped me, pulling the Verlander and Schwarber.  The pink refractors always look great.  Speaking of pink, make sure to check out Collecting Cutch's Let's Save Second Base posts during the month of October.  He has a lot of nice pink cards to show off, as well as some great eye candy.

My son liked the looks of Topps Fire and thought about getting nothing but Fire to open, but he is also a shiny fan.   Chrome just looks good he said.  Can't argue with him on that.  The Fire pack was not any better than the Chrome packs.

The Blue Chip inserts are nice, but the players were not the best.  I will not even comment on the Fired Up card other than it is available for trade along with just about everything else.


The lone Cardinal in all the packs was our first Fire card.  Hudson's role in the NLDS will be interesting.  He will be in the bullpen for the first 2 games, but could also start game 3.  I would rather see him start and hope the Cardinals do not have to pull Mikolas or Flaherty early in the first 2 games.  Game 1 starts in about 1 hour.  I know where I will be for a few hours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment