Monday, October 14, 2019

Silver and Gold

Well today is do or die for the Cardinals.  Down 2 games to 0, they have their ace Jack Flaherty going against Steven Strasburg.  The way the Cardinals are not hitting, I don't give them much of a chance.  If the Nationals do win the series, good for them.  They have a solid team with guys that may not be the biggest names, but sure do produce. 

To help ease the pain of the Cardinals losses, I opened a nice trade package yesterday from TCDB member Killtaker.  It arrived on Friday, but a busy weekend kept me from getting to it until last night.

The bulk of the trade were 1996 Flair cards.  That was the year that Fleer put out cards that were silver and gold.  These are the silver cards.

It is hard to tell from the scan, but these are the gold cards.  It is a lot easier to see in person.

 The silver card is on the left.

I did receive a few other cards like these 1999 Upper Deck SP Signature cards.  Most collectors prefer the autographed versions, but the base cards are still nice.

I was never a fan of the Turkey Red sets like this one from 2005.  The gray borders just make the card look dull.  There were also numerous short prints in the set.  I still need the Rolen and Pujols cards to finish the team set.

These are my first 2 cards from the 2004 Just Rookies set.  Not a great design, but I am a sucker for anything minor leagues.  It is a small set with only 90 cards total, which includes 4 Cardinals.  The player selection is not that great.  Dustin Pedroria and Ben Zobrist are the 2 biggest names.   Must be why I have never seen these cards before.
 

2 comments: