Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Wish I Had My Son's Fire

Illinois is going through the same cold spell that a lot of the nation is experiencing right now.  These last 3 days have been pretty nasty, starting with a mixture of sleet and snow Monday afternoon.  I am someone who would rather be cold than hot, but yesterday morning I had a change of heart. 

I woke about about 5 to eat breakfast and noticed how cold my hardwood floor was.  A quick check of the thermostat showed the house was 58 degrees.  I keep my house about 68 degrees overnight, so something was definitely not working.  A few hours later I get the bad news that I need a new furnace.  My old one was 16 years old.  Just my luck the warranty was for 15 years.  The Christmas fund just got a lot smaller this year. 

I have a couple of space heaters that we used last night in the bedrooms.  It did get down to 55 degrees though.  Guess I should have started a fire with some of my junk wax cards.  Speaking of fire, my son opened up a blaster of 2019 Topps Fire over the weekend.  How ironic is that.

This Altuve Flame parallel was his favorite card.  Wish we could have gotten the base card to go with it.

Among the better base cards were Jeter and Trout.  I asked my son if he wanted to complete the set.  It only has 200 cards with no short prints included.  I figured it would be a nice and easy one to be his first set.  He has not decided yet.  Maybe the other 2 blasters he is getting for Christmas will help make up his mind.

He gave me the 2 Cardinals from the box.  That was nice of him since I needed both for the team set.  I told him one day these will be his again. 

The bonus pack of 4 Gold Minted cards did not yield anything great.

The blaster had 7 packs of 6 cards.  Each pack contained at least 1 insert or parallel.  All of the inserts were of the Gold Minted type.  The players were better than the base cards.

The colored parallels were not bad either.  The Orange Acuna is numbered to 299, the purple Andrus to 99.  All the inserts and these 2 cards are available for trade if anyone is interested.  Since these are my son's cards, would like to get some Altuve cards he needs.  If not, I can always use Cardinals off my wants and make it up to him. 
 

4 comments:

  1. Oh man, brutally cold! I remember waking up once last year and the furnace had turned off due to an issue. It was luckily a small part, but worrisome.

    If you do decide to pursue the set, I have a few listed on TCDB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will keep you in mind if he decides to do the set.

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure why, I but I decided I liked Topps Fire this year. That'll probably just be a one year anomaly for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have liked every year of Topps Fire. Maybe it is the little kid in me.

      Delete