Monday, May 25, 2020

Were the 90s Really That Long Ago?

Happy Memorial Day to everyone!  Please take a moment to remember the true meaning of this holiday.  For those who are lucky enough to still be working, it is nice to have a day off to catch up on things.  For the most part the weather looks to be decent today in my area.  When the morning dew is gone, we plan to be outside most of the day.  Until then, I have a few minutes to highlight a trade package from TCDB member tr1908.  It was heavy on cards from the 1990s.  Hard to believe that was 20 years ago.


The 90s were so long ago that stores like Toys R Us are not open anymore.  I never really did shop there as there was not any close to me growing up.  It was always fun walking through the aisles with my kids and seeing all the cool toys that were never around when I was growing up.  One constant has been baseball cards.  These 1993 cards are part of a 100 card set.  These 4 completed my 7 card team set. 


Stadium Club always had great photography, even in 1994.  Where else will you find shots of a back up catcher eating fruit in the dugout, or a relief pitcher sliding into home.

Sports Illustrated even had cards in the 1990s, though they were produced by Fleer.  With so much emphasis on going digital now, you wonder how long hard copy magazines like SI will be around.  Pacific barely survived the 1990s, going bankrupt in 2004.  I still miss some of there sets, but do not miss the many parallels that went with them.  Pacific was too lazy to distinguish what the parallel was on the back of the card.  I remember having a hard time trying to figure out all the 2000 Prism cards.  The Dean card has nothing to do with the 1990s, just had to show it off. 


Some of my favorite parallels from the 1990s were the silver and gold signature Collector's Choice cards.  Even the inserts like this 1997 Big Shots had parallels.  Love the spring training shot of Jordan sliding head first into home.  The Piscotty also does not fit into the 1990s.  I had to show off this short print from 2016 Diamond Kings because it finished my team set. 

No comments:

Post a Comment