Monday, February 18, 2019

A Little for a Large Lot

I have done a couple of trades in the past where the other collector involved is looking for junk game used/autos.  Imagine typing that 20 years ago when any bat piece or scribble on a card was like gold.  From what I understand sites like Blowout offer store credit in return for a large lot of these cards.  I never have a lot of extras laying around, but did manage to find 3 to send to The Bench member zlw1 in return for a large collection of Cardinals I needed.


Who doesn't love Flair cards from the late 1990s.  The top 2 1998 card are Row 3, while the Morris is a Row 2.  The 1998 Gold Label card is a Class 1.  Wish Topps would have noted that on the back.

These are my first cards from the 1999 Sports Illustrated Greats of the Game base set.  I do have the autographed versions of the Brock, Forsch, and Gibson.  Just need the Musial card to complete the base set.

Jumping to 2001 we have Sweet Spot, EX, and Fleer Legacy cards.  The Legacy cards are my favorite.  Nothing too fancy, just a nice clean look. 

I have very few Pristine cards in my collection.  This one is from 2002.  The rest of the cards are from 2003.  The Pujols/Drew Double Header card is kind of quirky in that it folds open to reveal a shot of Drew on the bases.  Not my cup of tea, but a set need crossed off.

Some of the 2004 Upper Deck Play Ball cards look good like the Sanders, but others like the Gibson are not very good.  He almost looks foreign in that pic.  Hard to believe I still need some base cards from Leaf sets, but I do.  The 2005 Bowman Chrome Draft Thompson is pretty sharp.  Not sure if the Cardinals team colors were meant to be on the border, but it looks good anyway.

The Brock brings my 2014 Archives needs down to just Molina.  The 08 Upper Deck Heroes set had a few different color variations.  I believe this is the black version, but it could be charcoal.  Either way it was a needed Pujols card.

The last of the base cards came from 2018 Chrome Update.  I need a couple more to finish this set.

The package included plenty of inserts and parallels.  I always liked the Bowman International cards, but the black border on this 1997 Gant card makes it look very dark.  It also shows a lot of chips on the border.

One thing Donruss did well was feature retired greats from each team.  Not just Hall of Famers like Brock, Gibson and Musial, but guys like Marty Marion who had good but not great careers.  The Team Six card pictures Brock, Red Schoendienst, and Frankie Frisch on the back.  Sweet card that is also numbered to 100.

I wish X-fractors scanned better.  They look so good in person.  All of these are from 2012 Bowman Chrome.  Not much star power here other than the Berkman.

I did not know 2018 Fire had Blue Chip parallels for inserts also.  They look just as sweet as the base cards.  The 2017 Martinez Archives Peach card is numbered to 199.  Not sure how or why Topps made a Peach card.   Why not something simple like yellow.  





4 comments:

  1. Nice trade! I'd rather have a large lot like this than a "junk" auto/relic (or 3) any day. The Brocks and SI Greats are nice, but I'm partial to the 2018 Chrome and the Simontacchi. 2002 Pristine is one of my all-time faves.

    ReplyDelete