Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Super Joe and a Couple Legends

There is certain type of player that Cardinals fans root for no matter what his talent level may be.  During the 1990s there always seemed to be an undersized middle infielder who could hit a little and hustle like hell.  Bo Hart and Rex Hudler come to mind for me first. During the 1999 season, "Super" Joe McEwing burst on the scene by playing every position except for pitcher and catcher.  He hit .275 while bouncing around the diamond, and also had a 25 game hitting streak.  Even though he was traded to the Mets before the 2000 season, he is still a fan favorite.  Though he retired in 2008, he has remained in the game as a minor league manager and more recently as the White Sox bench coach.  My latest trade envelope from TCDB member madams30 brought back some good memories of McEwing.

Both of these Pacific cards completed team sets for me.  The 1999 Revolution is a great card.  It does have a lot going on, but I love the color scheme and the logo on the front.

Legends in the Making is not quite as big of an insert set as the Salute one I talked about yesterday, but it is close.  Each series from last year featured 30 cards.  Unlike Salute, the 4 different Cardinals featured only have 1 card.

The last two cards have no theme, I just did not want to scan the separately.  The Diaz is a 2017 Heritage 1968 Topps Game insert.  Topps stayed pretty true to the design.  I have a Tim McCarver from the 1968 set that looks very similar.  The McGwire is from a 25 card Mark on History set from 1999 Upper Deck Challengers for 70.  I may have to try harder to complete this set.   This is #16 for me.  Nice looking card that features the famous gut punch with JD Drew.    

No comments:

Post a Comment