Thursday, May 9, 2019

Envelope Full of Oddballs

I think we all like a little oddball in our collecting lives.  I know I would get pretty bored just looking at your ordinary Topps base cards or inserts.  It is great to receive a trade with cards from sets you have never heard of before or rarely see at shows.  A trade package that arrived early this week from TCDB member gormanvj contained plenty of odd and unique cards of the Cardinals variety.

Two of my favorites together in one set: oddball and old timers.  These SSPC HOF cards look like something from the 1970s disco era instead of 1980-1987.  The pennant on the front is the year the player entered the Hall of Fame.

The blue border on these 1982 Topps Stickers goes well with the Cardinals baby blue uniforms.  They are wearing these throwback uniforms on Saturday away games this year.  I prefer the Saturday alternate home jersey more, but I know I lot of fans love this jersey because of the ties to the 1982 World Series championship team. 

O-PEE-CHEE may not seem very odd to some collectors, but to me they are hard to find.  Anything before 1987 is even tougher to track down.

Back in the early 1990s there were quite a few monthly baseball card magazines that featured card inserts.  Baseball Card Magazine and Sports Card Digest were two of  them.  Although Zeile never lived up to his uber prospect hype, he did manage to have 16 year career playing for 11 different teams. 

There is nothing too oddball about these 2 inserts.  The Ozzie/Ripken is from 1993 Fun Pack All-Star Scratch Off set.  It appears to be a fold out card, but I did not want to bend it to find out what was inside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment