Monday, August 12, 2019

National Trading Card Day

My son's growing Jose Altuve collection gave us an excuse to visit a somewhat local card shop on Saturday for National Baseball Card Day.  He likes to look at his cards, so we store them in a binder.  A few weeks ago, I ran out of Ultra Pro pages.  I also needed some storage boxes for myself, so we made the 45 minute drive to our closest hobby shop. 

We usually hit this shop a few times a year for supplies or promotions like Saturday's or Black Friday.  It has the a large selection of supplies and wax boxes/packs.  They also have a large selection of singles sorted by star players and teams.  The singles were a little high for my budget.  Most of the star player cards are base that are priced from 50 cents to $1.  I flipped through the Cardinals cards and found a lot of junk area cards priced for 25 cents.  Molina and Goldschmidt cards were $1 and up.

We received 3 of the promo backs.  My wife also made the trip, so it was nice the owner gave all of us one.


These were some of the better cards we received.  No doubles out of our 3 packs.

My son wanted the Harper card that came with a $10 Topps purchase.  Not sure why because he is not a Harper or Nationals fan.  I guess the advertising suckered him in.  He wanted to open some 2019 Topps Chrome, so I overpaid and bought 5 four card packs for $5.99 plus tax.  I always try to teach him the value of a $1.  At a $1.50 per card, these packs were not a great value.

Out of the 20 cards, Yadi was the only Cardinals we received.  Good thing Kerry @ Cards on Cards has extra base cards to send our way.

Our best base cards were these 3.

We received the usual 1 insert per pack.  2 prism refractors, 2 base refractors, and a Future Stars.  The Acuna an Ohtani are nice cards that should bring back some nice Altuve or Cardinals.         

No comments:

Post a Comment