Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Fun at the Card Show

It was a baseball-themed weekend for my son and me.  I posted about our Sunday trip to a Peoria Chiefs game already.  Saturday we were able to make it to a 150 table card show a little over an hour away.  Hard to pass up a big show that close to home with only $1 admission.  We arrived a few minutes after the doors opened at 9:00.  There was a good-sized crowd already roaming the floor.  

Our plan of attack was to hit up bargain boxes on the initial walkaround and stop at some vintage tables as time allowed. We had about two hours to kill before we needed to leave. About halfway through, we abandoned that plan to save some time.  We ended up buying cards from 6 different dealers.


Our first buy was $2 worth of quarter cards highlighted by these 2023 Big League short prints.  These are not as difficult to find as Heritage sp's but do have some good value for a quarter, especially the Votto.



The next dealer had mostly basketball with a small box of modern baseball.  Nothing was priced, but he said he was looking to get out of baseball so he would give us a good deal.  This lot cost $4.  I already have the Graceffo auto, but I am sure another Cardinals fan will give it a good home.  


We only found 1 dime box dealer that contained inserts.  We spent $2 at his table.  I found 4 Cardinals I thought I needed.  The McGwire ended up being a duplicate.





I pulled some nice trade bait, including some Topps Gold cards, a couple of mojo refractors, and some colored parallels.  


My first vintage buy was this 1968 Topps Lou Brock for $10.  I was a little shocked to hand the dealer a $20 bill, and him not have change.  He put the card back until I returned with the exact change.  I hope he did not do business like that all day.  


This 1962 Topps Flood was marked $10, but the dealer sold it for $8.  I love it when I get a discount without asking.  My scanner cut off the bottom of the card.  It has a minor stain on the back, but overall is in great shape.


My final buy was these 2 1968 Topps for $80.  A little of an overpay, but these are in great condition.  I do not grade cards, but would guess they would be at least a 7.  The dealer had them marked $100, but came down.  Thrilled to mark off a couple of big ones from this team set.  

We barely managed to see all the tables in the 2 hours we were there.  I believe there will be another show in the fall at the same location.  I will make sure to allow more time at that one.  

  


    

6 comments:

  1. Gotta love some family time at the card show. Nice pickups, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Nothing better than spending family doing something I love.

      Delete
  2. Awesome additions! Glad you were able to find some well-priced needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Been finding some good deals lately at card shows.

      Delete
  3. Some very nice vintage purchases! Congratulations on adding these to your Cardinals collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. As I am getting closer to 50, vintage is becoming more of a focus in my collection.

      Delete