Monday, January 1, 2018

2017 Recap, 2018 Goals

I am a spreadsheet junkie.  I love setting up Excel files for just about anything, including varying aspects of my card collection.  One of my more interesting files is my yearly card expense sheet.  I keep a detailed sheet of how much is spent, where I spend it, and what I spend it on.  2017 was a fairly typical year for my spending habits as I usually try to net out between $300 and $400.  I will sell the occasional card or extra Cardinals stadium give away which I deduct the profit from my expenses, but that is usually under $100.  Lets review 2017:

Total spent on cards once a few sales were deducted - $140
Total spent on postage - $214

The numbers show my tendency to trade more than buy.  Yes it is costly to mail cards, but at least I rid myself of some clutter while helping others out.

Where I spent the $140:
EBAY/Sportlots - $65
Card Shows - $40
Chain Stores ( Wal-Mart/Target) - $25
Card Shops - $10

More than anything this shows that I live in a hobby desert.  My nearest card shop is about 50 miles away.  The nearest card shows that are worth going to are at least 2 hours away.  My local Wal-Mart does a decent job of stocking a variety of cards, but I am not one to take a gamble on opening packs very often. 

What I spent the $140 on:
Cardinals cards/memorabilia - $75
Packs/Boxes/Trade Bait - $50
Supplies -$15

This is not a surprise.  My focus is very heavy to my team collecting.  I do have that moment of weakness when I see new pack breaks being posted and I feel the need to join in, but I was good this year and chose packs instead of the $20 blaster boxes.  The supplies portion is 100 and 200 count boxes or snap cases that I use to mail trades. 

Looking forward to 2018, this will be the first year that I have set some collecting goals.  Nothing is very hard core about any of these.  I just thought it would be fun to see what I could accomplish.

1)  Add 5 new Ray Lankford cards -  This is tougher than it sounds as I need less than 80 of his cards, but the Topps Rediscover cards will help this goal out.

2)  Add 5 new Cardinals certified autos -  By this I mean 5 players I do not have an auto of in a Cardinals uniform.  Matt Adams and Stephen Piscotty do not count, but Albert Pujols would.  I would imagine this goal will be helped out by the various Bowman products.

3)  Complete 100 trades - This should not be too hard as I know I made 75 trades on TCDB last year alone.  Add in some blog trades and other online trading sites, I might have topped 100 in 2017.

4)  Make 150 posts -  This one is pretty much self explanatory.  If I come close to the 100 trades, this should not be a problem either.

5)  Complete 1 of my remaining 1970 Cardinals Topps team sets.  -   I need to finish the 1970-1973 sets.  I only need the Ray Busse card to complete 1973, but have not found one in decent condition for a price I am willing to pay.  I need 4 cards from 1970, but Steve Carlton is one of them.  1971 and 1972 are not even close because of various short print cards.


To finish out today's post, I will show my last EBAY purchase from 2017.


This is my first Sierra certified auto.  I have a ton of in person cards from him, but I will not be adding anymore since he was traded to Miami.  I bought this off EBAY for $3.99 delivered shortly after the trade.


The Toles card was part of the auction, the Dahl was a nice throw in.  If anyone is interested in either one of these, shoot me an email or leave a message.

2 comments:

  1. Added you to my blog roll. Looking forward to this year in blogging and collecting, we'll need to trade sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow, will add yours to my blog roll as well

      Delete