Friday, January 5, 2018

Heavy on the Minors

Minor league cards make up a small portion of my Cardinals collection.  I am not talking about main stream sets like Topps Debut and Heritage Minor League, but more like the sets you buy at minor league stadiums or some of the lesser know sets from the early 1990s.  Most of us know of the Upper Deck Minors sets from the 1990s, but how about Line Drive or Classic Best Gold?  I may have had an oddball card from these sets before I joined TCDB, but the last year has brought me many more.  My latest trade with member SFC Temple brought quite a few my way.

The 1991 Line Drive set featured cards from Double A and Triple A teams.  Each of the Cardinals sets contain 25 cards.  I completed the AA set with this trade, but still need 3 more for the AAA set.

1992-93 Fleer Excel was a little smaller set with only 15 cards counting the checklist.  The year can be misleading as Fleer also had a 1993-94 set.  Leave it to Fleer to make things difficult.

1993 Classic Best Gold was an even smaller team set with only 7 Cardinals.  The 6 along with the Allen Battle card I already had completed the set.

CMC put out a large set in 1990 along with some team sets.  Cardinals from the 880 regular set had yellow backs, while team set that was most likely given away or bought at stadiums had a green back.  This one is a green back.  I knew of the 1994 and 1995 Upper Deck Minors sets, but had no idea there was a 1992 set.  I discovered I had 2 other Cardinals out of the 13 in this set when I filed the Mabry card away.

I did get a few big league cards like this 1986 Topps Stickers Ozzie Smith.  Even though this card highlights the 1985 NLCS, I doubt this swing is from Ozzie's home run.  Judging by the dugout colors this game was in LA.  Ozzie's hit his home run in Game 5 at St. Louis.

The last 2 cards in the package were a 199 Bowman Chrome and 2000 Topps Chrome.  It is a new year, but my scanner still hates Chrome cards.


  


No comments:

Post a Comment