Thursday, January 24, 2019

Cardinals Winter Warm Up Day 3

This was the first year I attended all 3 days of WWU.   I would prefer not to, but when autograph tickets go on sale the dates the player is scheduled to appear is not listed.  I guess I have been lucky all the other years.  Day 3 I was flying solo for the first time ever.  I had 6 different autographs to get, so being by myself made it a little easier.  I arrived 30 minutes before the doors opened.  I left early not knowing if the snow showers the night before would affect the roads, but they were all clear.  It was nice they opened doors 10 minutes early.  My first stop was signing up for a Cardinals Hall of Fame Museum membership.  After receiving 6 free bobbleheads the prior 2 days, I figured it was a good deal.  The price was $85 for a family membership that included unlimited visits to the museum, 4 vouchers for a Busch Stadium tour, 4 ticket vouchers for a Monday-Thursday game, a Mike Shannon bobblehead, and another bobblehead of my choice.
 
I have never been a big fan of Shannon, but he is a local guy that won a couple of World Series in the 1960s and has been the Cardinals radio announce for over 30 years so he has a loyal following.

Ken Boyer won a World Series in 1964 and would later manage the Cardinals from 1978-1980.  A lot has been made about his omission from the Hall of Fame while Ron Santo has been enshrined.  Both played third base and have similar offensive numbers.  Santo has more home runs and rbi's but he also played in over 1,000 more games.  Boyer as an MVP award and a ring. 

There are only 2 bobbleheads left that the HOF Museum gave out that I did not have, Rogers Hornsby and Branch Rickey.  I was told that Hornsby would be given out at the 11:00 presentation, but I had 2 autographs to get in between 10 and 11.  I checked out the line at 10:00 and there were only 12 people there, so I hit up my first autograph.

If he can stay healthy, I see Flaherty making an All Star team in the next couple of years.  I was able to get through his line in 15 minutes, so back downstairs to check on the bobblehead line.  Up to 32 people, so I decided to try my luck and get my other autograph.

I had thought about skipping Henke's line to stay in the bobblehead line because his auto was free, but I have never gotten him before and wanted to send the 1987 Topps to William R.  I was finished by 10:40 and headed back downstairs.  I did not think I had any chance of being one of the first 50 people, but luck was on my side as I was #46.  It helps that the Monday crowd is usually the smallest at WWU.  The 11:00 presentation was about tips for preserving autographs and memorabilia.  Very informative talk where I learned a few things.  If you collect autographs, you know most people prefer blue ink because it does not fade as quick as black.  This is not true according to the Museum worker.  I will still stick with blue though.  After the talk, I received the Hornsby bobblehead.

This is my second favorite behind the Simmons.  I love the gray uniform with the red pinstripe.  I did stop back by the Museum booth to see if they had an Rickey bobbleheads for sale, but they ran out a few months ago.  They were uncertain if they will receive anymore, so my set my be lacking.  I will take the 7 out of 8 though that required $85 and a little bit of time.

It was 12:00 by now and I had 4 autographs to get by 1:00.  I was able to get through 2 line in less than 10 minutes.


Both Magrane and Cox were free signers who appear almost every year, so the lines were not too long.  My last 2 autographs were need to finish the Bowman Chrome Pipeline card that I got Austin Gomber to sign on Day 2.

Tyler O'Neill signed pretty quick, leaving me about 20 minutes to get Jordan Hicks.  His schedules signing time was 11-1, but it was easy to tell he would not be finished in time.  He was talking to everyone and adding any type of inscription that was requested.  I finally got to the front of the line at 1:30.  I think Hicks was getting tired by that time because his signature was a little different than what he usually gives out.  No big deal though, as this will be framed and hung in my son's room.

That wraps up my 2019 WWU experience.  3 long days, 2 different trips to St. Louis, a threat of bad weather, and a sick child who did not get to go put a little damper on things for me.  But I did get to spend 2 days with my daughter.  She turned 14 on Day 1 of WWU.  This may be one of the last few daddy daughter days we spend together.     

No comments:

Post a Comment