Thursday, August 3, 2023

2nd Card Show of July

Saturday was a bit of a rarity for me.  First, I was able to attend my second card show of July.  It usually is a month or two in between shows for me.  Second, I attended this one with my wife instead of my son.  He had an all-day band camp.  My wife has been to a few shows with us in the last few years, so she is no rookie.  Third, we attended a brand new show.  This one was held in Evansville, IN, and billed as  Card-Con.  It was advertised as having 190 tables, some of which would be non-sport.

I was a little hesitant to attend a new show on the same weekend as the National, but it was raining and just a little over an hour's drive so we would not be out of much.  We arrived about an hour after the doors opened.  Admission was $1 each.  I was pleasantly surprised to see a full showroom.  The room was somewhat set up with non-sports in one area, which was a major plus.  We spent about a total of 2 hours looking through mostly bargain boxes and a few showcases.  We spent $16 with 3 different vendors.


The first vendor had 2 monster boxes of 1960s cards sorted by year and number.  That made it very easy to find cards from my wantlist.  It worked out great having my wife check off what I needed.  I spent $10 on these 5 Cardinals.  The 1960 Nieman is pretty rough, but for $1 I grabbed it.  The 1963 Washburn was the most expensive at $3.  Other than the Nieman, the cards were in pretty good shape other than soft corners and bad centering.

The second dealer had 4 value boxes ranging from 10 cents to 50 cents.  I worked my way through them while my wife walked around a bit.  I explained to her I grab a lot of trade bait in these boxes so it would be hard for her to pull anything.  I ended up with 50 cards for $5.  I will show a few of the highlights.


There were 2 rows of 2023 Topps Chrome commons.  Great start for my team set for 50 cents.


Also grabbed the Chrome Altuve for my son for a dime.  


A handful of other Cardinals I needed.




Various trade bait cards.  Nice mix of premium brands and recent inserts.  

While I was going through the boxes, my wife was a few tables over going through some dollar boxes.  She had a stack of about 25 cards consisting of Cardinals and Altuve cards.  She was a little disheartened seeing me put all of them back but 1.  


The majority of the cards she pulled we already had.  The other handful were base cards that I would not pay $1 for.  

Overall it was a great show for being a new one.  They have plans to try another one in October.  Hope my schedule is free that Saturday.  






      

1 comment:

  1. Very cool to hear that your wife went with you to the show. I've seen that disheartened look before and its almost worth it to buy the cards so you don't have to see it. But at a buck a card... maybe I'd buy only a handful :D

    ReplyDelete