Friday, November 10, 2017

Big Macs With a Side of Oz

The largest of the 5 trade packages I received on Monday came from Trading Bases member Pete P.  I traded him a stack of base cards of HOF players in exchange for a healthy stack of Mark McGwire cards along with a couple of Ozzie Smith cards.

The Ozzie part of the package included a 1998 Topps All Star Glossy send in card and a 1997 Donruss Elite base card.  These two put me at exactly 500 Smith cards in my collection. 

I love the photo on the top 2000 Upper Deck Gold Reserve card.  Judging by the duffle bag he is carrying, I would almost guarantee the photo is from spring training.  To show how overboard the card companies produced McGwire cards during his Cardinals years, I have 630 of his cards.  He played in St. Louis for 5 seasons.  Ozzie played in St. Louis for 15 seasons.

Topps had some nice looking base cards in 2001.  The HD card is very thick and glossy.  The Reserve card reminds me of Stadium Club. 

We need more clear cards like this 2000 Ultra Swing Kings inserts.  I cannot think of a clear card design that does not look good.

These cards are part of the reason McGwire has so many Caridnals cards.  The 1999 Upper Deck Challengers for 70 set featured a 25 card Mark On History insert set.

1999 SPx featured 11 different McGwire cards in the 120 card base set. 

1999 Upper Deck Ovation had a 15 card ReMarkable Moments insert set.  If these 3 sets are not enough McGwire for you, you can collect the 30 card 1999 Upper Deck Chase for 62 set, the 21 McGwire cards in the 1999 SP Authentic Homerun Chronicles set, the 38 McGwire cards in the 1998 Pacific Home Run History set, or the many other McGwire cards in 1999 Upper Deck products like Victory or Ultimate Victory.  Glad I never started a player collection of him.  I will just stick with what I can trade for.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment